Welcome to my nightmare

Some might say that the safety-wire question is a little bit out there, but isn't the CFI supposed to be as close to a know-it-all as there is?

[ QUOTE ]
Some might say that the safety-wire question is a little bit out there, but isn't the CFI supposed to be as close to a know-it-all as there is?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my point. But upon further pondering, I do think that its a little much of an inspector to ask since its such an open-ended question. In any case, I'm sure thats not the only reason the ride was failed.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my point. But upon further pondering, I do think that its a little much of an inspector to ask since its such an open-ended question. In any case, I'm sure thats not the only reason the ride was failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this may be getting off on semantics at this point but ...

My point was at some limit, point, boundary you have to draw a line. If CFIs are supposed to know everything why differentiate between ASEL, AMEL and IA instructors? Why not just have one instructor certificate? No one - not even an FAA examiner - can know everything ... that's all I was trying to say.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My point was at some limit, point, boundary you have to draw a line. If CFIs are supposed to know everything why differentiate between ASEL, AMEL and IA instructors? Why not just have one instructor certificate? No one - not even an FAA examiner - can know everything ... that's all I was trying to say.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. Now, I will admit that I have a maintenance background, and I probably know more about safety wire than I'll ever need as a pilot. However, I have found improper safety wire on an aircraft during preflight, and I have seen bolts, screws and other objects come loose with improper safety wire - and the outcomes weren't always pretty.

Good thing to know. Why should pilots know how much of the strut should be visable? How about how much air should be in a tire? These are some pretty important things. Now, it would be asking too much if a pilot was expected to know the torque values for screws and bolts. And I'm not sure that a pilot (even a CFI) should fail a checkride for not knowing that a bolt in the wheel well wasn't safety wired correctly. But I do think that it's a flag if a CFI candidate couldn't tell me at least a little bit about safety wire.

I remember my CFI instructor (guy had about 10,000 hours dual given) telling me..

"Passing the CFI checkride isn't that difficult. You simply have to know absolutely everything about anything that has ever been even rumored to have existed."

No problem. I do remember a FED asking me once on a checkride- "How many rivets does this airplane require to be airworthy?"

The answer is "All of them sir."

Ok 1 is missing, if thats all right what about 2? Maybe 15 or 20? Where exactly do you draw the line?

I finally rescheduled my checkride, but not with the SAT FSDO. SAT FSDO would not return my calls after I tried them four times over the past week. In fact, I could never get a human on the phone, only answering machines. Why? I don't know.

So I called the DAL FSDO and they promptly set me up for march 3rd. I'll have to fly to Love Field for the ckrd and I'll be in a mostly unfamiliar area, not to mention class B, but at least I get an unbiased fresh start with my examiner. Thanks for all the help on this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
I finally rescheduled my checkride, but not with the SAT FSDO. SAT FSDO would not return my calls after I tried them four times over the past week. In fact, I could never get a human on the phone, only answering machines. Why? I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they read Jetcareers, and they know you're upset with them....
grin.gif

haha, who knows? I posted it on flightinfo too and I know a fed read my post there, you never know how word can get around.

Back