Weights and Balance problem in Charlotte crash?

Mahesh

Hey guys,
I just heard on MSNBC that the NTSB is saying that there might have been a "weight" problem with the plane that crashed in Charlotte. Of course this is mass media so I don't know if they meant the plane was overloaded or if the CG was off.
Apparently the NTSB wants carriers which fly the smaller planes to weigh at least 15% of their passengers and baggage (to get a sample) for a little while to see how off they are from their assumptions.
Anyone get any more details?

Mahesh

Does anybody have the statistic of the percentage of general aviation crashes caused by pilot error?

At American Eagle we weigh %100 of checked baggage. using average bag weights for smaller aircraft(B-1900, SB-340...) is just not good practice. What if your avg bag weight was 50lbs and every bag was 20 lbs over?? In the end that could put you several hundred pounds over weight.

When I worked for great lakes (United Express) we used the formula of every pax= 180lbs, every bag= 30lbs. So 1 pax = 6 bags. They only weighed freight and oversized bags. I never thought it was a good system since people and bags don't fit nicely into these catagories and the weight and balance always ended up as an educated guess.

I remember at Skyway, a passenger was 160 lbs in the summer, and 170 lbs in the winter (riiiight).

Carrys on under the seat weighed nothing, in the closet they were 10 lbs and in the cargo bin, they were either 20 or 40 lbs, I can't remember.

Sometimes if I person "express tagged" a bag, we had the ability to bring the bag and put it in the coat closet (for a weight savings) or have the pax put it under the seat for a 100% weight savings.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember at Skyway, a passenger was 160 lbs in the summer, and 170 lbs in the winter (riiiight).

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a legit density altitude adjustment?

Back