Weight

stuckingfk

If I wanted to take-off with a higher than gross weight that is certified for my aircraft, say to ferry an aircraft overseas (more fuel), what would I have to do or get approved from the FAA?

Thanks

You've gotta get a ferry permit for the aircraft. Give your FSDO a call to find out what you gotta do.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

John,

I thought it was something like that, but where can I find information on Ferry Permits. I can't seem to find it in the Private Pilot Jeppesen, but I could be overlooking it.

thanks

Thats because its not really something most private pilots have to deal with. Hell, I don't even know if its in the Jepp Commercial text (and I'm too lazy to look right now). You're best bet would be to give a FSDO a ring...they deal with things like that on a case-by-case basis, so theres not really much in textbooks about how to go about it.

It can be done, you do need to get the ferry permit from the FSDO. Remember, if you are exceeding the max gross for the airplane the type certificate is technically invalid.

I had a buddy go through the process to ferry a Bonanza from Oakland to Honalulu. He said the paper work was a nightmare and thought the trip was VERY sketchy. 16 hours over water in a single....

One reason you probably can't find anything about it is because it's not one of those things that is spelled out "If you do A, B, and C a ferry permit will be issued to do X" - while are some general guidelines it is very much up to the discretion of the Airworthiness Inspector at your FSDO as to how much bullcrap and what kind of bullcrap will be required of you before he signs off on it.

Also another word of warning - it would probably behoove you to call the FSDO that has jurisdiction over your departure airport - i.e. if you live in Wichita but plan to depart in the overweight condition from Boston call the Boston FSDO. I don't recall all of the specifics but when I was in the Dash 8 at Allegheny we ran into a situation where our POI at the local FSDO approved us to do something with the aircraft - when we landed at an airport within the jurisdiction of another FSDO an inspector decided he didn't think it was safe and tried to ground the airplane. Basically it was just a war between adjoining FSDO's to see whose pee pee was bigger but it caused headaches for the airline and the crews. Point is - make sure you have approval from the FSDO where your operation is going to take place.

Jason

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Another question, what is the most pounds over gross you have seen, heard of or read? Thanks again

How in the hell would someone get a Bonanza to HI without refueling? And the prevailing winds would kill your ground speed! I know it just a big deal to fly our choppers from Oahu to the Big Island...And there are stops in between! Somebody please enlighten me? Also wouldn't that pilot have to have another Pilot on board to take over after 8 hours?

fuel tanks. Lots and lots of extra fuel. Here is a link to a page of someone who flew around the world in a Mooney.

Around the world

and

details from Brackett Field, CA.(KPOC), to Hilo, Hawaii (PHTO) here

The owner installed a fuel tank inside the cabin. The orginal destination was actually Bangkok. The next stop after Hawiaii was the Solomon's (not to sure of that) Apparently the aircraft barely made it off the strip in Oakland (took something like 10,000' to get airborne). Once in flight the satelite phone he brought along wouldn't link up so he had passing airliners relay his position.

The ink was still wet on his commercial ticket and this was his first flying gig. After reaching Hawiaii he was hallucinating and pretty much scared out of his wits so he abandoned the aircraft there. Much to the dismay of the owner.
crazy.gif

Hover, when I was in Hawaii, I asked around the flight schools. Apparently, many of the Cessnas and others they have there were actually flown there.

[ QUOTE ]
How in the hell would someone get a Bonanza to HI without refueling? And the prevailing winds would kill your ground speed! I know it just a big deal to fly our choppers from Oahu to the Big Island...And there are stops in between! Somebody please enlighten me? Also wouldn't that pilot have to have another Pilot on board to take over after 8 hours?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, many of the Cessnas and others they have there were actually flown there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would dare bet most if not all were flown there. For one airplane, its probably cheaper/easier to throw in a ferry tank and be on your way.

I knew a guy who had done this in a 182. Almost the entire aircraft was tanked and over gross weight. He said they stopped doing it that way and most aircraft were crated and shipped. Perhaps this is only new aircraft, they may still tank the old ones.

Yeah it's honestly not that big of a deal to pull the wings off, put it in a box and send it one it's way. I can't imagine it would be any more expensive to ship a Cessna than it would be to ship say a pickup or SUV over there.

Jason

There was a guy in the 1960's who was known for setting distance records. He used a Commanche for some of them and I think he was close to double the max weight on some of his flights.

Back