Weight and Balance: Moment Change due to Gear Retraction?

Alchemy

In preperation for my CPL ASEL ckrd coming up Monday, I was looking over the POH for the 182 RG and noticed in the "limitations" chapter that retratcting the gear results in a +3052 lb.-ins. moment change. I assume the W&B data in the POH is all based on gear up. I could not find anything in the weight and balance chapter that specifally addressed the moment change due to gear retraction.

If you aren't familiar, the gear on the 182RG retracts toward the tail of the aircraft.

Aren't there conceivably scenarios where you could be within limits with the gear retracted, then once you extend them the CG would be forward of limits? Does anyone out there take this into account when computing their weight and balance data for a flight?

Thanks for the help.

When flying the Arrow you are supposed to account for this when doing the weight and balance, but it is a very small change in this aircraft. The Seminole has the same gear system and no mention of this can be found in it's POH. Go figure.

If it does not say anything about this in the POH, I would assume it is taken into account. If Cessna thought it was a big deal, it would be in the weight and balance section.

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't there conceivably scenarios where you could be within limits with the gear retracted, then once you extend them the CG would be forward of limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. But you'd probably be so close to gross or out of limits anyway that it's doubtful you'd fly anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone out there take this into account when computing their weight and balance data for a flight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I have a "ramp" W&B then the next line is our Takeoff with Gear Up.

Generaaly the change is small and you really can't tell in the trim (at least on our aircraft). It's much more noticible when someone moves around in the cabin than the gear!

Back