Weighing my options, need advice :/

If you want to fly, you'll fly. If you want to eat, don't learn how to fly for $170K.

I got a bachelors in photography and enjoyed every minute of my college life / experience. In the end, your pilot ratings look the same on paper regardless of how you got them. More often than not, it's not the hours you have that lands you the next job, it's what you know, who you know, how well can you do the job, and are you personable enough for the company to want to pay up to advance your career. No school, no matter how expensive or cheap, fast or slow can give you what you can't already give yourself.

For $170K you might as well get two degrees, throw down on a down payment for a house, buy a car, go on vacation, AND earn your ratings; otherwise whoever gets your money is going to do just exactly that with it.

Listen to milleR, DE727UPS and everyone else, and If I need to I will fly myself over to your house and shake you like a rag doll until you make a sound decision regarding your future. You only live once young Skywalker!

In any decision you make, go for QOL. Debt seriously inhibits your freedom. The large amount of debt I accrued is my only regret. On the bright side, I'm 23 and already have a career that I enjoy in the works. Hind sight is always 20/20, so here is what I would recommend;

Get as much time as you can, as quickly as you can
Stay out of debt as much as impossible (i really really wish I would have worked my part time jobs like crazy to keep my debt low, the first couple years in this biz are terrible wages and long hours, the debt makes it that much more stressfull)

And most importantly, realize that when people say things that sound cheesey like "aviation isn't a job, it is a lifestyle", they are pretty much right. You really have to fight for your free time when you take on this career. (I'm just a flight instructor, I can't imagine how it is for some guys at the smaller freight places/135 operations etc) So, in short, always make time for yourself/family/significant other if you have one or you are going to be extremely lonely.

Go to UK and meet pretty girls.
That. I've had friends who went to UND. Not a whole lot to choose from going by what I've heard. ;)

Like someone said, there's always EKU's flight program, I know a couple people that went through there, one of them is at Eagle now. Granted, not right out of college. I don't want to sound like I'm trashing anyone who did go through UND or any other type of program, but spending $170,000 on school to get a job that pays around $20,000 a year first year (if you can get one.... that might take a while depending on the state of the industry) doesn't really sound like the best deal. It can be done a lot cheaper than ATP around here too. Yeah, you'll graduate with about 250 hours, but you could end up in a situation where you're still paying off your training and you can't afford to advance from that point. That's the big reason I decided against financing the rest of my training.
The UPS deal does seem like a good thing. I believethey only do the full tuition if you work the night shift though, but I think if you work the other shifts they still pay for some of it.

I'm just up the road in Louisville, I spend a fair amount of time down in LEX as well. I'm definitely not the wisest guy on these forums but I'd be glad to help as best I can, so don't hesitate to shoot me a PM if you have any questions about doing your ratings around here.

It will never work out the way you planned it, so keep it simple and take baby steps. Be flexible. The biggest thing is to stay out of trouble with the law and stay healthy.

Couldn't agree more. I graduated with a degree in Aviation mostly because it was the only thing I was interested in at the time and I didn't think I would want to "waste" my time with anything else. However, I wish I would have waited to declare a major after I took a few gen ed classes. I ended up finding meteorology, criminal justice, and political science very interesting. I could have easily majored in any one of those while still doing flight training. If you end up going to UK (which seems like the best option BY FAR), try exploring a few different classes you might be interested in. You might be surprised with what you find out.

Oh yeah, and the whole "staying out of trouble with the law" thing......very very very very very very important. Seriously.

I am actually a student in EKU's flight program. I also have experience flying out of Lexington, if you do choose to go to UK, you should check out the Lexington Flying Club. PM me if you have any questions, I would be glad to help!

Good advice on here.

If you decide to do ATP, I'd go over the summer either before the first year or between freshman an sophomore year. Then you can CFI your way through school and graduate with 1,000-1,500 hours with 140 multi minimum from ATP. You'd be pretty much ready to start upon graduation.

Or just do the local FBO thing for even less and go full time CFI when you finish college. Like DE said, you're young there's no hurry. Starting at your age, if you decide to stay in aviation you'll be ahead of most everyone in your career anyway. So enjoy life. :)

Wow.. thanks for all the help/advice guys! Really wasn't expecting all the responses, so it is greatly appreciated :) Also wasn't expecting that many locals to respond :p Anyways, In the end I guess I'm the one that will end up choosing, not you guys, but all the input and advice really helped me both back my original opinion and think about some other factors. As of now, I'm definitely leaning towards the UK/ATP route, but I've still got a while to research other options and make my decision :)

Thanks again everyone!

The kind of debt the big flashy programs put you into is insane! I know sooo many pilots paying off large student loans well into their 30s. That is life changing/crippling debt. One might think its all fine, you have your whole life ahead, worry about it later. Later comes. Student loans, as far as I know, have no get out clause. In other words, you can't just declare bankruptcy and be protected. Plus, your spouse is going to be super ticked you can barely eat, let alone think of having kids, buy a house or car. And before that, its a big turn off, because if you date for any period of time, they will find out you are broke as hell and have nothing to show for it.

The flashiness of these schools reminds me of fishing lures...the glimmer catches your eyes, you bite, then you are caught!

My advice, take it for what it is worth, go to a big university. Have fun, go fly, and see what happens.

You're networking skills on this website will get you much much further than any specific aviation program or degree.

I just met a 19-year-old working the counter at the FBO in Allentown, Pennsylvania. He has his CFI already, and got 18 college credits by the time he graduated from his high school because of a "dual-enrollment" program his HS had with the local community college. The high school I teach at does this for English and History, but I never thought to see if they offered anything like this for aviation. You should see if your HS might have a similar program. This could save you even more money, and let you justify starting your flight training even sooner. Check it out!

Go to UK and get a degree outside of Aviation

Do all your flight training at local flight school. Try a few to see which you like and click with an instructor. Don't go for all the flashy new aicraft with glass. You get the same license as a pilot training in a 1975 Cessna 172 with steam guages paying less. Glass is easy to learn later. Steam gauges on the other hand aren't. You don't have to go to ATP either. If the industry continues on its path (crapshoot at best) you will have no problem getting a CFI job at any flight school and then off to the regionals or 135 freight world.

Find a roomate and get an appartment and live on your own. You will want your freedom and you will learn some things.

AVOID AS MUCH DEBT AS POSSIBLE. AVOID AS MUCH DEBT AS POSSIBLE.

THIS

No one has suggested it yet so I will.

Have you ever considered being a pilot in the military? You can apply for ROTC scholarships that will virtually make you debt less, and ALL your flight training is paid for. Yes there is a commitment and other catches, but hey it's an option. I was in ROTC for three years before I got out and decided that 121 was the way to go for me. You can join usually without any obligation, but after your first two years you have to decide if you will stay or not. Just putting it out there bud.

Back