Weekend work @ Academy?

SQuirell88

For anyone currently at the academy:

1.) Has anyone been required/asked to perform a lab, test etc on a Saturday or Sunday?

2.) If you have, when did you find out weekend work was required?

3.) If you have, was there any option to reschedule it for another day/time? If you are at the academy and don't know the answer, would you be so kind as to ask your instructor if it is possible for a student to reschedule something that was scheduled for the weekend?

According to HR, it is possible that some labs could be scheduled for a Saturday due to the high volume of classes at the academy, but they couldn't tell me if weekend stuff can be rescheduled.

It looks very likely that I will be in OKC around December 13 (just waiting on a date right now) which is the day my sister gets married. I'll be 16hrs from home by car. Given that situation can someone ask their instructor what my options would be if I was scheduled for academy stuff on that weekend?

Thanks for your help!

We were told very specifically on our second day:

DO NOT GO HOME!!!

The FAA doesn't care if you end up in a 30 car pile-up on the interstate or stuck on the runway at LAX. If you're not there they call you facility manager. He/she has enough to deal with and might simply tell your instructor to cut you loose.

Just keep that in mind.

In the past there was a student who had a family emergency and he/she was allowed to reschedule. Obviously your sister getting married is not a family emergencey. It never hurts to ask.

For anyone currently at the academy:

1.) Has anyone been required/asked to perform a lab, test etc on a Saturday or Sunday?

2.) If you have, when did you find out weekend work was required?

3.) If you have, was there any option to reschedule it for another day/time? If you are at the academy and don't know the answer, would you be so kind as to ask your instructor if it is possible for a student to reschedule something that was scheduled for the weekend?

According to HR, it is possible that some labs could be scheduled for a Saturday due to the high volume of classes at the academy, but they couldn't tell me if weekend stuff can be rescheduled.

It looks very likely that I will be in OKC around December 13 (just waiting on a date right now) which is the day my sister gets married. I'll be 16hrs from home by car. Given that situation can someone ask their instructor what my options would be if I was scheduled for academy stuff on that weekend?

Thanks for your help!

No, there is no weekend work. The FAA won't pay you overtime to work on the weekends. I know they say "Don't go home", but the reality is that everyone goes home at some point during training. Yes, it's your own problem if you don't make it back on time for any reason. The FAA doesn't care why but everyone leaves at some point or another.

No, there is no weekend work. The FAA won't pay you overtime to work on the weekends. I know they say "Don't go home", but the reality is that everyone goes home at some point during training. Yes, it's your own problem if you don't make it back on time for any reason. The FAA doesn't care why but everyone leaves at some point or another.

Did you just finish training?! How was it?! Is it brutal?! :crazy:

Is it reasonable to consider working a restaurant or something on nights/weekends? Or would this just be too much while in OKC?

You usually get to choose/accept the class date when they call you for your FOL. That is at least my situation. As for weekend work I haven't heard of anyone who had to do any work on the weekends (Instructors don't want to work than either)

In the 3 years that I've worked there as a ghost pilot, there has never been a Saturday session. Tower has been doing 3 shifts for about 6 months, and just ended and is in the process of moving back to 2 shifts a day. Now enroute just moved from 2 shifts to 3. Even if there is a weather storm and the campus is closed, they just throw some extra runs in and shorten the breaks the day we return.

I'm not going to say it won't happen in the future, but it is very unlikely that training would ever be conducted on Saturday. Like someone mentioned above, the FAA does not want to pay overtime and it would be a mess trying to get instructors/pilots to come in on Saturday.

In the 3 years that I've worked there as a ghost pilot, there has never been a Saturday session. Tower has been doing 3 shifts for about 6 months, and just ended and is in the process of moving back to 2 shifts a day. Now enroute just moved from 2 shifts to 3. Even if there is a weather storm and the campus is closed, they just throw some extra runs in and shorten the breaks the day we return.

I'm not going to say it won't happen in the future, but it is very unlikely that training would ever be conducted on Saturday. Like someone mentioned above, the FAA does not want to pay overtime and it would be a mess trying to get instructors/pilots to come in on Saturday.
any idea when they will be back on the 2 shift rotation?

We're currently doing the 1530-0000 shift this week. I think the other basic class did 1530's last week and they will probably be doing it again for the remainder of the basic's class.

Back