Webull versus Robinhood

MFT1Air

Investing is in the news. Robinhood has been the talk of the town for a short while, but I'm hearing now about Webull.

Webull new promotionals say one free share for simply signing up; an additional share if you deposit funds.

Anyone trading Webull? Pros? Cons?

Robinhood has been having huge problems lately and delaying trades for hours. Haven’t looked into Webull. I just stick with the established firms now.

Just go to Schwab. Free trades, and they have fractional shares now.

I've been Etrade since 2006. Before that, I had Suretrade before it went under. Does Schwab have a minimum deposit? Lot of these millennials won't take the time to put money in their employer backed 401K. Webull is free, plus they give you free stocks during this promotional.

Couple of people use Schwab.

I've been Etrade since 2006. Before that, I had Suretrade before it went under. Does Schwab have a minimum deposit? Lot of these millennials won't take the time to put money in their employer backed 401K. Webull is free, plus they give you free stocks during this promotional.

Best of my knowledge there's no minimum deposit.

Robinhood has been having huge problems lately and delaying trades for hours. Haven’t looked into Webull. I just stick with the established firms now.

I actually heard that as well. One hiccup I heard was VPN anomalies where you had to disable before you traded. Not confirmed that as one possible reason.

1. etrade was bought by Morgan Stanley (not sure how that will effect them)
2. I use Schwab which bought TDameritrade last year ( I haven't noticed anything different, but I'm a casual user)
3. Millennials are passing Gen X'ers in retirement prep...(45% have a company 401k and 33% are actively contributing, which is the same as Gen X'ers)https://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-saving-for-retirement-nearly-surpasses-gen-x-2019
4. I've heard good things about webull but would need to research it.

1. etrade was bought by Morgan Stanley (not sure how that will effect them)
2. I use Schwab which bought TDameritrade last year ( I haven't noticed anything different, but I'm a casual user)
3. Millennials are passing Gen X'ers in retirement prep...(45% have a company 401k and 33% are actively contributing, which is the same as Gen X'ers)https://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-saving-for-retirement-nearly-surpasses-gen-x-2019
4. I've heard good things about webull but would need to research it.

My frustration? 33%, while high, is still a low ball number. It's a no brainer to contribute when the company also participates.

I actually heard that as well. One hiccup I heard was VPN anomalies where you had to disable before you traded. Not confirmed that as one possible reason.
I think with the race to match everyone with free trades and services there is very little to no benefit in Robinhood and Webull now. Even Vanguard the king of buy and hold has no fees for ETF and stock purchases done online now.

I think with the race to match everyone with free trades and services there is very little to no benefit in Robinhood and Webull now. Even Vanguard the king of buy and hold has no fees for ETF and stock purchases done online now.

True. The Webull free stock drew many people's attention which they liked because it's not paper trading but real trading even if the stock is low ball $2.50 to $1400 for one share. For the ZERO experience investor, it was a great marketing tool. 90% of the typical American is clueless about brokerages after watching Trading Places and making that analogy. I'm like - duh. No. Those were pork bellies and orange juice.

No one watches Jim Cramer or Maria Bartiromo much less understand what they're saying.

My frustration? 33%, while high, is still a low ball number. It's a no brainer to contribute when the company also participates.
It's also pretty stupid to be trading outside a tax advantaged account until you can afford to maximize all the tax advantaged accounts.
You could do 0% and likely beat someone over the long term trading in taxed dollars. They start at least at -40%.

It's also pretty stupid to be trading outside a tax advantaged account until you can afford to maximize all the tax advantaged accounts.
You could do 0% and likely beat someone over the long term trading in taxed dollars. They start at least at -40%.

Hence, their reason for starting small perhaps.

I think a lot of millennials watched their parents retirement 401k’s get wiped out in 2008 and are using other methods for retirement savings. That is of course if they have a job that they can even afford to save for retirement.

I think a lot of millennials watched their parents retirement 401k’s get wiped out in 2008 and are using other methods for retirement savings. That is of course if they have a job that they can even afford to save for retirement.
I don't think people are so stupid as to think anyone who didn't sell at an all time low lost a single dollar. If they do, well then they're so math illiterate that it's extremely unlikely they'll ever be able to retire almost regardless of the amount of money they make.

I don't think people are so stupid as to think anyone who didn't sell at an all time low lost a single dollar. If they do, well then they're so math illiterate that it's extremely unlikely they'll ever be able to retire almost regardless of the amount of money they make.

That’s true for people who had to time to wait through the recovery. But plenty didn’t have that time. Compounded with the loss of real estate value a lot of people were not able to get back what was lost.

That’s true for people who had to time to wait through the recovery. But plenty didn’t have that time. Compounded with the loss of real estate value a lot of people were not able to get back what was lost.
The real estate market has also not only recovered, but is way up since 08.
So, provided you don't live beyond your means, you come out well ahead. To say millennials look at wealth wiped out in 08. There was little to no wealth there to begin with if you HAD to sell. In that scenario, to say anything was lost was to ignore the entire liability side of the sheet.

The real estate market has also not only recovered, but is way up since 08.
So, provided you don't live beyond your means, you come out well ahead. To say millennials look at wealth wiped out in 08. There was little to no wealth there to begin with if you HAD to sell.

yes, it is now. Which is why I said it’s all good if you were able to wait it out. But for example my parents were set to retire in 2010. The real estate value drop combined with the market crash really hurt them. They’re not destitute or anything like that, but my dad wound up having to work for several extra years than was planned because they had to wait for SS to kick in for my mom.

True. The Webull free stock drew many people's attention which they liked because it's not paper trading but real trading even if the stock is low ball $2.50 to $1400 for one share. For the ZERO experience investor, it was a great marketing tool. 90% of the typical American is clueless about brokerages after watching Trading Places and making that analogy. I'm like - duh. No. Those were pork bellies and orange juice.

No one watches Jim Cramer or Maria Bartiromo much less understand what they're saying.
Does Jim Cramer understand what he is saying? :bounce:

The reason I like Robinhood is the user interface is very easy, but most of my money is in Vanguard. Robinhood has been great for dipping my toes in, and I have learned a lot. Mostly that I should just stick to low cost broad market ETFs, because I don’t have the hours to dedicate myself to picking winning stocks or yolo’ing my savings on options.

No one watches Jim Cramer or Maria Bartiromo

They’re better off. Cramer is a crackpot and Bartiromo is a right wing shill.

Eh, there is a growing school of thought that this is wrong. The idea is that income tax rates will have to be radically higher in the coming decades in order to cover the massive Medicare and Social Security obligations, so you’re better off paying the taxes now at the lowest rates they’ve ever been. I’m not sure which school of thought will end up being right, but it’s effectively a crapshoot.

People are stupid, a little 30% of our coworkers give zero to their 401K and a little under 50% don't get the max match.

Back