Web Page Question

sbav8r

For those of you that have experience putting your own web page together. What would you recommend for someone wanting to do this with very little experience? Any good websites, books? Where do I get started?

For those of you with your own websites, thank you. I have been visiting all of them and have found many of them very informative. Ofcourse this site has been an immense source of information and Jedi Nein's has been a big help as well. He has posted his lesson plans on his and I used them for a ideas for my own. Anyone interested in getting the CFI should visit this site.

me gusta pagina Dave ( i like daves page)

I can second tripod is really easy to use.

Also, dave in your aviation links part, re check the one for pilotpointer.com you accidently put http:// twice in it.

[ QUOTE ]
Frontpage sucks. Dreamweaver is da bomb.

Is it ok to say bomb in an aviation related site?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally use Frontpage, and feel that it's pretty good for the money. I'm sure Dreamweaver is great, but you'd have to take out a loan to pay for it! Jeeze!
blush.gif

I agree that Dreamweaver is better...... but I'll second flyitup in the fact that it's way too f*&%ing expensive.

I've always done my own HTML. HTML Tutorial is a good source to get you started. I don't think it's all that hard to learn.

I used to have a site, and I've been working on one, but it's not up. I'd like to have a domain, but I'm not sure how one goes about doing it. Like, would anyone recommend any cheap hosts for someone with a personal web site.

Also, do you need a credit card for it, or could you use a debit card or PayPal?

I use the Homestead web builder. It's a little spendy (~$60 a year) but you get 25MB space and a great WYSIWYG builder with lots of templates and such. You'll need a broadband connection as it's very web-based.

I'd start with FrontPage or DreamWeaver or a combination of the two. I'd also recommend learning at least a little HTML. HTML is a very easy language and any reference or tutorial book should be helpfull. Once you are comfortable with HTML you can move on to more advanced languages such as DHTML, XML, JavaScript, or Flash. If you are just looking to do some stuff in your free time I would just stick with FrontPage or DreamWeaver and a basic knowledge of HTML. Just look in the computer/internet section of any bookstore and find something that you feel comfortable learing with.

Howdy!
I used a combination of Notepad and Netscape's Composer program for my websites. Notepad was the exclusive program back in 1992, Hotdog was helpful in 1996, but still needed lots of tweaking in Notepad.

Frontpage Express that came with Windows 98 was simply terrible, along with any version of Netscape Composer after 4.75 until 6.1. They create too much code and things don't work the way they were programmed. Microsoft Word will even save HTML files, the drawback is about ten times too much code and terrible image transfer.

Now I have the 30 day trial of Dreamweaver and am really enjoying it. The 30 days is more than enough time to create a basic webpage and for the hard core types, more than enough to deploy a corporate site.

Do a search on "web site templates." Download some of the free ones that catch your fancy. Open them in Dreamweaver, Frontpage, or even any of the free WYSIWYG editors, and change the content text from theirs to yours.

Check your internet service provider to see if you get free web space with your service. Several providers include web site space and page creation programs.
Geocities, Angelfire, and Tripod still have page creation programs if you can stand pop-up advertising.

If you see some effect on a website that you would like to copy, use the "Edit" "View Source" option and read through the code of the web page. Cut and paste into your editor, then play with it. Most web masters get cranky if their images are copied without permission, but an email will typically either give permission or suggestions on where to find similar images. (One answer was simply "NO!") Hopefully you have your own pictures, either taken digitally or scanned in, and you can use those. Don't worry about image file size or anything else until you have your first page up.

For books, it's hard to beat "HTML for Dummies." Anything that looks or acts like a serious programming book should be avoided as the information is widely available, free, online. Do a search on "HTML beginners" for thousands of tutorials and samples.

Remember to have fun with this.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Back