"Weather Related" means no refund.

flyboywbl

3rd regional in 1 year
I read this article and was wondering if JetBlue could fly, was it really weather related? Could it be that the Op. Specs are different for each company so they have different weather minimums? Can the airlines lie about this to save money? Does it happen all the time? If Delta showed up to court would they of won the case. (obviously it costs more for them to hire a lawyer and fight the case regardless of the outcome than to just pay the guy). This has happened to me before and i just took the later flight and did not say a word. any way just wondering if some one in the biz could enlighten me.

http://information.travel.aol.com/news-and-tips/passenger-wins?ncid=AOLCOMMtravdynlprim0402

thanks
-Matt

IMHO airlines tend to stretch weather related to suit their needs if they can. There also could have been a problem with the plane that made it not suitable to fly into known icing conditions. Pretty hard to Monday night QB this without a lot more facts on the issue.

One time I had mx issue on the plane (grounding item) but the destination wx was going down. So disptach posted a wx delay until it dropped below mins and then cancelled the flight due to wx in order to avoid the fees associated with a mx cancelation.

It is a game they all play as the general public seldom does the research to call BS nor do they read the airline's contract of carriage that says what they are and are not responsible for.

I will probably take some heat for this but it doesn't suprise me that a HPN passenger filed the suit. In general the HPN paxs were some of the worst passengers I ever flew.

I will probably take some heat for this but it doesn't suprise me that a HPN passenger filed the suit. In general the HPN paxs were some of the worst passengers I ever flew.

:yeahthat:

I'm so ridiculously happy that I never ever have to fly there again! I ultra mega loath that place.

It's not just the HPN people, it's the whole NY area. Those are some of the worst people that I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Anyways, if your flight is affected by an irregular operation and it dosen't fly then you can get your money back. Dosen't matter if its mtc, wx, or whatever. If the flight is xld then you have that option. In the case of wx MOST people dont take it because they want to get to where ever it is they are going and I can refund their 200.00 tkt and send them on their way to whatever airline they want, but they will be paying 600.00 plus for the new tkt on the same day, AND if its wx other carriers are likely to have the same probs. MTC however is "our bad" so we put you on other airlines etc etc to get you where you need to go. Oh and if its a NY flight that goes on delay or is xld those pax will demand your first born, deed to your house, your car, your wife/husband, your paycheck for the next 2 yrs, meals for the rest of their natural lives as well as a voucher for a lifetime of free air travel. Good times.

sorry i don't know what HPN stands for. Thanks for the response. Can you still get a refund for weather if you have a nonrefundable ticket? i suppose it all depends on the "Fine Print"

thanks

-Matt

Oh, airlines have lawyers on retainer. Read your terms and conditions. If they cancel it due to weather, you have no recourse. End of discussion.

If it's a mechanical, they will compensate you. United has put me in hotels twice on their dime due to mechanical problems on the aircraft I was going to fly on.

It's not something I like, but at least they manned up and did the right thing.

thanks. I was just suprised to hear, from above, that if it is weather related that you could get a refund. I've always been told that you can't.

The most creative version of "weather cancelations" goes to NWA back when they had the crew shortage issue last year. See, their crews were timing out at the end of the month b/c off all the wx delays, holding etc at the beginning of the month. As a result, they had to cancel flights due to lack of crews. They called it "weather related" since it was weather that caused the crews to fly over their duty limits even though it was weeks prior. Go figure.

Couldn't have called it "lack of crews" since that would have given ALPA the ammunition to say "HIRE MORE PEOPLE, IDIOTS!" In the end, that's what wound up happening anyway.

thanks. I was just suprised to hear, from above, that if it is weather related that you could get a refund. I've always been told that you can't.

I guess it depends on the agent you get then. Me personally and pretty much everyone I work with will give the refund option if the flt xlds due to wx if the pax asks. Again most people want to get to where their going so they dont go down the refund road, but there are a few situations that pretty much the point of the trip is lost if the flight cancels. IE) misconnect in JFK for a transatlantic flt that is taking them over the pond for a european cruise that they are now going to miss. Yes there is a contract of carraige and fare rules and all that but when there is a line of 150 people who are already pissed because their flight got cancelled I'm not going to say "sorry no refund" if they ask for it. I give them options, I then offer my opinion as to what I would do in their situation and I rebook for another day or give em their money back IF they ask for it. Oh and if you call a reservations center they will just regurgitate (sp) the fare rules, there is alittle more leeway if your one of the people in the trenches working the tanked flight.

Speaking of HPN...I would have to sit in the back with 37 of them for 2 hours in the dash and then stay at the La Quinta:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

You guys don't/didn't deal with the passengers.

jynyjoe and myself dealt with them daily as flight attendants. Not really a big deal. Taught us good customer service skills.

You guys don't/didn't deal with the passengers.

jynyjoe and myself dealt with them daily as flight attendants. Not really a big deal. Taught us good customer service skills.

:yeahthat:

These days I just look out my window every once and a while and say, "Hey look, passengers!?!"

Notable HPN Pax Quotes:

1. Husband said to our FA when she was taking drink orders. "I'm sorry my wife doesn't talk to the hired help"

2. "It's ok this plane has four blades, the 3 bladed planes are the dangerous ones"

3. "I paid XXX dollars and were on a this piece of crap" (referring to a Saab)

Seggy, I know you have to have to good quotes in regard to the 1900

Back