Weather at Grand Forks

JaceTheAce

I am reconsidering the option to apply at UND. I've checked out the program thoroughly and spoke with an old friend that is graduating soon from the flight program. It looks like this may be one of my options.

My concern is how often does winter weather delay flight training? How is the weather in Grand Forks? I've checked out weather.com's averages throughout the year and that place get's pretty cold! Is it necessary to have a 4X4 vehicle? Engine block heaters too?

Glad to see you are considering UND. Even though I complain about things here, it's still a very good program.

About the weather:

It really sucks in the winter and is absolutely great in the summer, late spring and fall. The weather can sometimes disrupt training, but it depends on which course you are in and what kind of instructor you have. Many instructors around here don't like going up unless it is severe clear, which I feel is a disservice to the students. My last instructor would go up in anything if UND allowed flights out, which was fine with me. A few weeks ago him and I went up and accidentally picked up some ice. But it helped to because now I know that those kinds of conditions will more than likely cause ice accumulation. I could feel the ice effect me trying to land. Overall, I thought it was a worthwhile experience. As for our summer flying, which is a must in my opinion, isn't so busy, the weather is great, and you can fly from 6 AM - 1 AM.

As for vehicles:

There isn't a need for a 4X4 vehicle unless you want to do some serious off roading. I have been driving a FWD vehicle for my normal operations since 8th grade and haven't had any trouble. As for block heaters, what kind of car do you have? I have one but don't need it because I drive a Honda. You may think that I am blowing smoke, but I am serious. It will start in anything. It may take a few cranks, but it will always start. Both my roomates both have chevies and have to plug them in otherwise they won't start when it is below -10. But if you really want a block heater, there are plenty of places that install them for $50-$100.

What ratings/certificates would you be coming in with? Any college credit? If you have any more questions, I am sure I can answer them or find someone who can.

Thanks for the prompt response. That's helpful information. I drive an '83 Honda Accord and I'm sure it'd do fine - it's a bomb proof engine.

I will be coming with a Private most likely. My father is a pilot and flight instructor (with CFI, CFII, ATP ratings) so I've been flying since I was about 5. I started doing take offs and landings at age 10, so I've got some experience. I'm saving up money to begin my Private this coming summer, so I should have that prior to transferring to whatever school I go to. I am looking into Embry-Riddle/Prescott Campus too because that's where my dad graduated from, and also qualify for an alumni scholarship because of him.

I have about 72 units of college credit with all my transfer requirements done for a CA State school (IGETC requirements). So I'm pretty much done with that. Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to finish my bachelor's.

Also, how is rent costs there? I looked online and found some nice places for $350 - a lot cheaper than the $1300/month I'm paying here in San Diego.

If you come in with your private, you have to do the 112 test course which costs around $3000. If you don't come in with it but have over 30 hours, you have to do the 105 test course which is around $3000. So do what you want, but I would recommend the 105 since you will probably spend less money overall. They are actually in the process of changing these courses because they are a POS.

On the apartment issue. I have a 3 BR apartment with 2 other roommates. It is $710 a month, which is on the higher side in GFk and bills account for around $100 a month to bring the total to $810 split three ways. This is cheap in my opinion. We are looking to going into the best apts in town for is around $1000 for everything, which I still think is a good price.

[ QUOTE ]
If you come in with your private, you have to do the 112 test course which costs around $3000. If you don't come in with it but have over 30 hours, you have to do the 105 test course which is around $3000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was all ready to go to UND a few years ago, but that turned me off. It would have been nearly the same deal for the instrument, and the commercial (correct me if I'm wrong...). They said it's because they wanted to verify that I was up to their standards....do they write the FARS and train examiners??

Sorry, but I'm only paying for my ratings one time per...lol.

For those of you who love ND weather, this is the METAR for GFK.

KGFK 310153Z 34011KT 1SM -SN BR BKN017 OVC029 M14/M16 A2985 RMK AO2 SLP130 P0000 T11391156=

It isn't that nice out right now, but a good time to practice instrument approaches.

Well it's nice to be back home in OH right now, clear skies and 55 out.

That metar makes me want to transfer I think.
grin.gif

...But for now it's off to OSU for the big New Years bash!!

KGFK 080653Z 35003KT 10SM CLR M24/M27 A3025 RMK AO2 SLP273 T12391267

first post

clear and cold

Whats up Tom, if this is you,

You are back I take it. I have been here during all this cold crap trying to get my flying done. I finally finished my flying up yesterday, did a x-country to the cities in an arrow. Took be only 1.5 from startup to shutdown. I had a 175 knot groundspeed so it went really fast.

Anyways, what brought you too the boards? Nice to see you here, ttyl

Indeed it is me, i cant wait to get into 222, i heard the course is fun, i flew this past monday out of fargo in a 172 and shot ils and vor to 17 just to get my feet wet in what im going to do in 222, i made no fly by 1 degree, i hope the weather warms up a bit so i cn get some actual time in, well see you around

whats your aol?

I'm responisble for Sween being here. Being my roomate he has given me copious amounts of [expletive deleted] about always being on the boards. Now he's bout to be addicted.

Welcome Stepchild.

Matt

Speaking of weather...

KGFK 271353Z 28004KT 10SM CLR M34/M37 A3020 RMK AO2 SLP263 T1344=

Don't you just love the temperature?

but it's clear and little wind. great climb performance
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of weather...

KGFK 271353Z 28004KT 10SM CLR M34/M37 A3020 RMK AO2 SLP263 T1344=

Don't you just love the temperature?

[/ QUOTE ]

I flew the seminole last night when it was almost that cold. Climbing out at 105 getting 2000 fpm is pretty good. It was a quick climb to altitude last night.

And for the TAF...

KGFK 271644Z 271712 00000KT P6SM SCT025
FM1900 27007KT P6SM BKN040
FM2100 28010KT 3SM -SN OVC025
TEMPO 2224 3/4SM -SN
FM0100 31015G22KT 2SM BLSN BKN015
FM0600 33015KT P6SM SCT015=

Yuck...

[ QUOTE ]
Grand Forks International Airport
Last Update on Jan 28, 6:53 am CST
Fair
-33°F (-36°C)
Humidity: NA
Wind Speed: W 14 MPH
Barometer: 30.42" (1033.9 mb)
Dewpoint: NA
Wind Chill: -61°F (-52°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

[/ QUOTE ]
From nws.noaa.gov

KGFK 301353Z 29006KT 2SM FZFG CLR M41/ A3038 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 10 SLP335 VIS SE 4 T1411=

I have actually never seen freezing fog here in GFK. Is this really hazardous for aircraft?

[ QUOTE ]
KGFK 301353Z 29006KT 2SM FZFG CLR M41/ A3038 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 10 SLP335 VIS SE 4 T1411=

I have actually never seen freezing fog here in GFK. Is this really hazardous for aircraft?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you guys just love North Dakota
tongue.gif
And yes, Freezing fog can be hazardous to aircraft. Aircraft on the ground during periods of freezing or frozen precipitation or fog and other icing conditions are susceptible to the buildup of ice on control surfaces, etc. But I'm sure we didn't even take the planes out of the hangar today...

UND_Flyer
<font color="green">GO SIOUX! </font>

KGFK 162000Z 20017KT 1/4SM SN BKN005 OVC011 M01/M02 A2974 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 1/2 P0000

good weather on my spring break in the grand cities

Back