WATRS/OCEANIC

What's ZAK?
Oakland Oceanic....or at least ZAK indicates their oceanic area while ZOA is just Oakland Center. Im not 100% sure why the different identifiers but it does show up on our strips too.

When I google it all I find is a bunch of Flight Sim Stuff, an FAA website with little information, and an ASAP from like 1999 of a 747 crew that apparently thought ZAK was Anchorage and messed something up haha

Last edited:
We have what we call a "Transitional Sector" at LA...as in we're the transition from Radar to Non Radar sep. We post Strips on all the traffic to/from ZAK, and we are the sector that initially radar identify/terminate radar service on aircraft, and coordinate your Oceanic Altitude and routing w ZAK, so we have to know/use Nonradar rules for separation, but we aren't really an oceanic control sector. Thats all ZAK. I would imagine Seattle has the same kind of thing that we do.

As far as the ops up in ZOA, the Oceanic area is off on its own side of the center. One of their Oceanic areas also includes a fairly busy domestic traditional Radar sector, so those controllers do a mix of both Oceanic Non Radar and normal Enroute control. I believe at least one of their Oceanic areas is all Non Radar and Oceanic Control.
My Area is most of Coastal CA, Arrivals and Departures into LA and the Basin airports, and the Oceanic sector, so were doing a bit of everything.

I believe AIRINC on the West Coast (SF Radio) is located in Livermore.

I took a tour of your facility a couple months back and saw that transitional sector, it seemed like it was the only one in the building still using flight strips. Got to plug in with a friend of a friend working sector 33 (I think? the high alt over SGU), and actually got to spend a good amount of time watching him work traffic. Good god, so many ride report requests!

Stinger said:
What's ZAK?

KZAK is Oakland Oceanic FIR which is located in Oakland ARTCC but in a separate part. Still want to go on a tour up there eventually. It's worth noting that pilots generally don't actually talk directly to the oceanic controllers. The person you talk to is an ARINC radio operator (i.e. "San Francisco Radio"), who passes your messages on to the oceanic controllers via computer. The oceanic controllers then type clearances via computer which either go out via CPDLC or go to the ARINC person's screen and they read it off on the HF radio. Not really sure why the two part system exists, other than maybe to shield the controllers from having to listen to HF static for hours on end? :)

Was wondering if someone in ATC could help me visualize NY (or any other) oceanic, non radar, Control. Is the controller in the same room as the other controllers? Does he sit in front of a scope as well? How does the AIRINC operator relay the position reports (telephone or computer inputs?). Just overall kind of curious of the behind the scenes for a non-radar controller. Thanks

In NY the oceanic controller are in the same building as domestic controllers. Pretty much you will be handed off from N90 to the ocean radar sector. They will then call over to someone working ATOP sector which is the system which we input the flight information including the time and altitude over a fix. This system then scans for conflicts in non radar. If there is a conflict typically a new altitude will be given. From radar then the plane is handed off to the non radar sector. This controller sits in front of a scope with visuals of all traffic. Aircraft remain non radar until Bermuda or the Caribbean. All AIRINC comms is done by phone or data comm.

In NY the oceanic controller are in the same building as domestic controllers. Pretty much you will be handed off from N90 to the ocean radar sector. They will then call over to someone working ATOP sector which is the system which we input the flight information including the time and altitude over a fix. This system then scans for conflicts in non radar. If there is a conflict typically a new altitude will be given. From radar then the plane is handed off to the non radar sector. This controller sits in front of a scope with visuals of all traffic. Aircraft remain non radar until Bermuda or the Caribbean. All AIRINC comms is done by phone or data comm.
Can you expand on “scope with visuals”. Is this a computer estimated image based on the position report numbers given?

Can you expand on “scope with visuals”. Is this a computer estimated image based on the position report numbers given?

It’s a combination of computer generated based off time and speed over reporting points as well as GPS location. Looks just like a normal radar screen with the exception of a lot more airspace.

I took a tour of your facility a couple months back and saw that transitional sector, it seemed like it was the only one in the building still using flight strips. Got to plug in with a friend of a friend working sector 33 (I think? the high alt over SGU), and actually got to spend a good amount of time watching him work traffic. Good god, so many ride reports!

Cool that you got a tour! We don’t see many people come through...most people are probably scared off by the reputation of the city that the Center is in haha.

We’re definitely the only sector in the building that still uses paper strips for our normal ops. The Mid shift gets fun with the big midnight rush to the South Pacific and then all the red eye arrivals and overflights from Hawaii that start pouring in at 315 AM.

Oakland center is definitely worth a tour, their oceanic equipment is pretty cool. Used to want to transfer there pretty badly...but why leave a Level 12 in a cheap area for an 11 in one of if not the most expensive areas in the country haha

Okay I just skimmed this so forgive me if anything is redundant. I am a former oceanic controller at ZNY. There are 3 ARTCCs with true oceanic. New York, Oakland, and Anchorage. Those other centers mentioned have some non-Radar over water, but they are not oceanic as defined by separate Flight Information Regions (FIRs), and they do not use the system I will describe below. The controllers in the United States sit on the same control room floor as the domestic controllers, and once reaching full performance level also certify on radar sectors as well (I only certified on the ocean sectors). In Gander, they are co-located as well but the oceanic and radar controllers are separate.

At ZNY, ZOA, and ZAN the oceanic sectors are worked on a computer called ATOP (Advanced TransOceanic Procedures). The computer integrates with ARINC, which in the case of ZNY is in a building across the street. In New York the sectors are divided geographically, and in New York, there are two different areas responsible for WATRS airspace and the NATS airspace. I worked the NATS side. The WATRS side could be split into as many as 4 sectors, but typically on an average day it was split down the middle with one person working the east half and one person working the west half. Bermuda Radar and east oceanic (out to 40w) as well as the off-shore radar sectors in the vicinity of W386/105/107, were the responsibility of the area I worked in. The non-radar airspace I worked was divided into 9 sectors that could further be divided east/west if necessary. Typically on an average day that entire airspace would be split 2 or 3 ways, however on a busy track day or night, I have seen it split into as many as six separate sectors, and the area had enough work stations to split at least 8 ways (if I remember correctly).

The oceanic computer might look similar to a radar to a layperson, but it is not even close. The airspace GUI was for situational awareness only. Everything is handled via position reports that are either uploaded to the computer automatically via ADS, or manually by ARINC. When I left, there was talk of somehow implementing ADS-B over the ocean, but at the time I left it was ADS-C, I have not kept up with the advancing technology since I left. the -C stands for "contract" and what that meant was that the pilot had to log on with the appropriate facility, and that facility would then tell the onboard computer how often to make reports. Clearances were issued via CPDLC or ARINC relay. If necessary, at the request of the controller or flight crew, direct voice communication could be established via ARINC HF, but that is only done in unusual situations.

The computer takes the position reports and checks for potential conflicts. If aircraft are anticipated to lose minimal applicable separation within 2 hours, it flashes orange. By the SOP the controller may take action at that time, or they can wait it out. Once the computer predicts separation will be lost within 30 minutes, the involved aircraft will flash red and the controller is required to take action. The computer tells the controller when separation will be lost, but does not make any suggestions on how to fix the conflict. It also requires human input to recognize and account for certain situations where reduced separation minima can be applied. Required separation varies based on the type of aircraft and the equipment onboard. Turboprops require twice the separation as jets, typically. When I left, standard separation for jets was 50NM laterally and 10 minutes longitudinally at the same altitude; however that could be reduced to as little as 30NM in any direction, and I understand it was reduced further after I left. To qualify for 30 NM separation, both aircraft had to be equipped with RNP4, ADS-C, and CPDLC.

Hope this helps @Kingairer

@NovemberEcho, I'll have to take you up on that as I am in NY area often, especially if I have time to burn at FRG. Look out for a future PM.

Okay I just skimmed this so forgive me if anything is redundant. I am a former oceanic controller at ZNY. There are 3 ARTCCs with true oceanic. New York, Oakland, and Anchorage. Those other centers mentioned have some non-Radar over water, but they are not oceanic as defined by separate Flight Information Regions (FIRs), and they do not use the system I will describe below. The controllers in the United States sit on the same control room floor as the domestic controllers, and once reaching full performance level also certify on radar sectors as well (I only certified on the ocean sectors). In Gander, they are co-located as well but the oceanic and radar controllers are separate.

At ZNY, ZOA, and ZAN the oceanic sectors are worked on a computer called ATOP (Advanced TransOceanic Procedures). The computer integrates with ARINC, which in the case of ZNY is in a building across the street. In New York the sectors are divided geographically, and in New York, there are two different areas responsible for WATRS airspace and the NATS airspace. I worked the NATS side. The WATRS side could be split into as many as 4 sectors, but typically on an average day it was split down the middle with one person working the east half and one person working the west half. Bermuda Radar and east oceanic (out to 40w) as well as the off-shore radar sectors in the vicinity of W386/105/107, were the responsibility of the area I worked in. The non-radar airspace I worked was divided into 9 sectors that could further be divided east/west if necessary. Typically on an average day that entire airspace would be split 2 or 3 ways, however on a busy track day or night, I have seen it split into as many as six separate sectors, and the area had enough work stations to split at least 8 ways (if I remember correctly).

The oceanic computer might look similar to a radar to a layperson, but it is not even close. The airspace GUI was for situational awareness only. Everything is handled via position reports that are either uploaded to the computer automatically via ADS, or manually by ARINC. When I left, there was talk of somehow implementing ADS-B over the ocean, but at the time I left it was ADS-C, I have not kept up with the advancing technology since I left. the -C stands for "contract" and what that meant was that the pilot had to log on with the appropriate facility, and that facility would then tell the onboard computer how often to make reports. Clearances were issued via CPDLC or ARINC relay. If necessary, at the request of the controller or flight crew, direct voice communication could be established via ARINC HF, but that is only done in unusual situations.

The computer takes the position reports and checks for potential conflicts. If aircraft are anticipated to lose minimal applicable separation within 2 hours, it flashes orange. By the SOP the controller may take action at that time, or they can wait it out. Once the computer predicts separation will be lost within 30 minutes, the involved aircraft will flash red and the controller is required to take action. The computer tells the controller when separation will be lost, but does not make any suggestions on how to fix the conflict. It also requires human input to recognize and account for certain situations where reduced separation minima can be applied. Required separation varies based on the type of aircraft and the equipment onboard. Turboprops require twice the separation as jets, typically. When I left, standard separation for jets was 50NM laterally and 10 minutes longitudinally at the same altitude; however that could be reduced to as little as 30NM in any direction, and I understand it was reduced further after I left. To qualify for 30 NM separation, both aircraft had to be equipped with RNP4, ADS-C, and CPDLC.

Hope this helps @Kingairer

Thanks for the info. I only do the Pacific tracks from west coast to Hawaii and back. Your post gives some insight to what happens behind the scenes. Maybe someday I can get a tour in Freemont and see how it really works.

Back