WATRS/OCEANIC

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
Was wondering if someone in ATC could help me visualize NY (or any other) oceanic, non radar, Control. Is the controller in the same room as the other controllers? Does he sit in front of a scope as well? How does the AIRINC operator relay the position reports (telephone or computer inputs?). Just overall kind of curious of the behind the scenes for a non-radar controller. Thanks

Was wondering if someone in ATC could help me visualize NY (or any other) oceanic, non radar, Control. Is the controller in the same room as the other controllers? Does he sit in front of a scope as well? How does the AIRINC operator relay the position reports (telephone or computer inputs?). Just overall kind of curious of the behind the scenes for a non-radar controller. Thanks

Easiest way to sate your curiosity would be to take a tour of a center. If you're in NY I can get you the number for ZNY so you can set up a tour. I always recommend pilots tour different ATC facilities.

That’d be awesome...but I’m not nowhere near it and I don’t have any NYC overnights on the horizon.

Oh, and it's ARINC. They're a private company (now owned by Rockwell Collins). They're located in Bohemia on Long Island and also San Fran I think. I almost got a job with them while waiting on the FAA but I wasn't willing to move to LI for $18/hour.

http://www.arincdirect.com/

Oakland Center as well has an Oceanic Area. Own the largest amount of airspace in the world.

Well if you're anywhere near Jacksonville, Boston, Miami, Los Angeles, or Seattle they have centers with oceanic sectors as well. You can find contact info on www.pointsixtyfive.com. In the little menu tab thing just click on "resources".
LA and Seattle have oceanic? Cause I'm pretty sure it's just all Oakland. If you take off from SEA and fly straight west, you get shipped to Oakland/SFO Airinc. Same with LAX, going to Hawaii, you're with Oakland offshore.

LA and Seattle have oceanic? Cause I'm pretty sure it's just all Oakland. If you take off from SEA and flight straight west, you get shipped to Oakland/SFO Airinc. Same with LAX, going to Hawaii, you're with Oakland offshore.

I just assumed. I really don't know one way or the other.

I just assumed. I really don't know one way or the other.
Ah ok, well I'm quite sure LA, SEA, BOS and JAC do not have oceanic sectors. The Oceanic sectors from the states are Oakland, New York, Miami Houston, Anchorage and San Juan.

Ah ok, well I'm quite sure LA, SEA, BOS and JAC do not have oceanic sectors. The Oceanic sectors from the states are Oakland, New York, Miami Houston, Anchorage and San Juan.

We have what we call a "Transitional Sector" at LA...as in we're the transition from Radar to Non Radar sep. We post Strips on all the traffic to/from ZAK, and we are the sector that initially radar identify/terminate radar service on aircraft, and coordinate your Oceanic Altitude and routing w ZAK, so we have to know/use Nonradar rules for separation, but we aren't really an oceanic control sector. Thats all ZAK. I would imagine Seattle has the same kind of thing that we do.

As far as the ops up in ZOA, the Oceanic area is off on its own side of the center. One of their Oceanic areas also includes a fairly busy domestic traditional Radar sector, so those controllers do a mix of both Oceanic Non Radar and normal Enroute control. I believe at least one of their Oceanic areas is all Non Radar and Oceanic Control.
My Area is most of Coastal CA, Arrivals and Departures into LA and the Basin airports, and the Oceanic sector, so were doing a bit of everything.

I believe AIRINC on the West Coast (SF Radio) is located in Livermore.

Also, the controller at ZAK is still staring at a Scope and sitting in front of a computer, but he isn't seeing a live Radar feed (Obviously). They have a different computer system than the rest of us Enroute people, but the setup is very similar. They have about 1000 lines to different control facilities from Papua New Guinea to LA Center, and they get regular updates and position reports via CPDLC. Their CPDLC system was awesome, controller rarely had to talk. Only time he really needed his headset was for Landline coordination.

I took a tour of gander oceanic several years ago. It was really interesting, if you're there looking for something to do, they seemed excited to show the place.

If you're ever in Gander for a few days, I highly recommend it, however I also highly recommend not being in Gander for a few days. At least in winter.

Last edited:
Also, the controller at ZAK is still staring at a Scope and sitting in front of a computer, but he isn't seeing a live Radar feed (Obviously). They have a different computer system than the rest of us Enroute people, but the setup is very similar. They have about 1000 lines to different control facilities from Papua New Guinea to LA Center, and they get regular updates and position reports via CPDLC. Their CPDLC system was awesome, controller rarely had to talk. Only time he really needed his headset was for Landline coordination.
What's ZAK?

Back