Want to begin the process of studying for ADX...

Fireyafterburner

I started a flight follower position in Teterboro, NJ at Jet Aviation about 6 months ago. I was searching for a position like this as it is a step towards a dispatcher position at a regional/legacy airline. I like the position I'm in for the most part, however we definitely deal with the clients (not just pilots) more than I thought. It's my first real job after college so I'm really new to all this stuff. Now I think I am ready to start preparing for the ADX written and it was suggested to me to buy Sheppard Air to study. I was told that I should pass the written on my own and then take the in class portion at ATP or FlightSafety. I was also told I might be able to get a reduced rate on the class portion if I already came in with my written done. However my parents are a little skeptical about whether the test really opens doors to new opportunities. I've also met people who say dispatch is mostly automated now and dispatcher positions aren't what they used to be. Not that I believe all that... but I've heard this being said by some. Anyways, I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

A. Getting the written out of the way BEFORE you go is the best thing you can do. It is going to save you a lot of time and allow you to concentrate on getting the oral/practical done.
B. While the job is automated more now than ever, this job is NOT going away. There is still very much a human interface needed for this job, plus the whole operational control thing.

The certificate does open doors. I had my first dispatch offer 9 days after passing my test with the FAA examiner. I also had two other interviews lined up and a request for a third.

The flight following will definitely give you a leg up on other candidates, but of the ones in my Ground School, I’m the only one with 121 experience. One has limited part 91, and the rest have a few flight hours towards their private license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The certificate does open doors. I had my first dispatch offer 9 days after passing my test with the FAA examiner. I also had two other interviews lined up and a request for a third.

The flight following will definitely give you a leg up on other candidates, but of the ones in my Ground School, I’m the only one with 121 experience. One has limited part 91, and the rest have a few flight hours towards their private license.

Thanks this really helps. Time to get started:)

My wife did the written prior to going to school for the certificate and had a lot more time to focus on studying and prepping for the practical than the classmates who were also trying to grind for the written.

As far as study material, Sheppard Air is hard to beat for passing a written, but it’s a mental memory game. You have to do real studying on the side to actually understand the concepts vs. passing on rote memory alone.

Though there are only so many legal “Dispatcher” positions, the certificate will give you some excellent experience and make you stand out from the dozen other applicants at positions for 91 or 135 departments (or even 121 airlines) who lack it. Good luck.

I am seeing this issue a bunch in our training. We have many students who are waiting until the last minute to study for their written. It is hard enough to study all the content, let alone the written. Get it out of the way as early as possible and you will be in much better shape.

A. Getting the written out of the way BEFORE you go is the best thing you can do. It is going to save you a lot of time and allow you to concentrate on getting the oral/practical done.
B. While the job is automated more now than ever, this job is NOT going away. There is still very much a human interface needed for this job, plus the whole operational control thing.
If you can't get the written out of the way before school, then be ready to take it when you get there. Getting the written totally done is the best bet, because you don't have to worry about it; a big monkey is off your back. That said if you can be ready to take it when you start school, that's good too. You'll still be able to focus on your studies, while doing minor ADX review each day.

If you can't get the written out of the way before school, then be ready to take it when you get there. Getting the written totally done is the best bet, because you don't have to worry about it; a big monkey is off your back. That said if you can be ready to take it when you start school, that's good too. You'll still be able to focus on your studies, while doing minor ADX review each day.
Think I'm going to buy Sheppard Air today and start studying for the written. Have some concerns over managing time to attend dispatch school as I would rather take it in person than online, but I will figure that out in time.

Think I'm going to buy Sheppard Air today and start studying for the written. Have some concerns over managing time to attend dispatch school as I would rather take it in person than online, but I will figure that out in time.
I don't know about online, as I attended in person. What school are you going to?

I went to Flight safety at LGA Airport. Great school and good instructors. I would recommend the part time 12 week course if you're working. This the full time course is an intense 6 week course and you need to dedicate many hours studying afterwards.

Sheppard is a great tool to pass. Not to study.

I don't know about online, as I attended in person. What school are you going to?
Not sure yet. Closest to me is Flight Safety LGA or Academics of Flight in Sunnyside, NY. Started the first subject category of Sheppard today, getting used to the charts...

I went to Flight safety at LGA Airport. Great school and good instructors. I would recommend the part time 12 week course if you're working. This the full time course is an intense 6 week course and you need to dedicate many hours studying afterwards.

Sheppard is a great tool to pass. Not to study.

A bunch of people at work went there and recommended it so I may be going there. Don't want to commute into the city but oh well. I'm in no rush so the longer course would be better. Thanks:)

The school I went to had us take the written about halfway through the course. I worked full time so I did the part time course which for us was about 14 weeks. I didn’t find it too hard to prep for the test and study and follow along in class. Then again, I used Sheppard air’s app on the iPad and that helped a TON. That was just my experience though.

Back