Wake Turbulence

smokey1

The other day Doug mentioned something about being number 33 for takeoff. I think it was on the Live from Salt Lake City post. Anyway. If you're number 33 for takeoff does each plane have to wait 2min while the previous plane takes off to avoid wake turbulence. Also, while in basic flight training is it possible to fly through your own wake when practing manuevers like steep turns?1.
Smokey..................................................................................

I fly the DA-20, small trainer, dont know about the 2 min thing but i dont think so, also, you can feel your own wake, around 60 degreez of bank, more or less, you can feel the bump from it, yes.

I believe the 2 minute/5 mile rule only applies for aircraft of similar or larger sizes. If a 747 was waiting to take off and a Learjet took of just before him I believe the 747 is cleared to go as long as Learjet is out of his way. If the planes are reversed then the Learjet would definitely have to wait it out

---------------------------

Aircraft of the same relative size will not be effected like smaller aircraft. A good rule of thumb is that anything twice your wingspan can begin to cause a real cocern.

Be aware that some towers will not give you a 2/5 minute wake turbulence spacing, the pilot should request it. In other words, if the tower clears you for take off don't assume wake turbulence is not an issue request a delay for wake turbulence if you are uncomfortable.

Are you familiar with proper prcedures for wake turbulence aviodance?

I LOVE chasing my tail, as it was put to me by an instructor. Whenever I do a steep turn, I try to hit the wake turbulence I've generated. I figure it's a sure way to know that I did it right!

You can read about wake turbulance in the AIM 7-3-1. In a small aircraft, we are required to have at least 4-6 miles (or 2-3 minutes on departure) of separation, depending on the situation and type of aircraft you are following.

If you are IFR, ATC is required to keep that minimum separation, but once you accept the visual approach it is your responsibility to maintain separation.

And yes, if you fly a nicely coordinated steep turn you will often hit your own wake.

Back