Wake turbulence drift

As one of those Navy heavies, I can tell you that we are restricted by a lot of things in choosing airports to do pilot training at. Distance, runway length, bearing strength, traffic density, etc all come to mind. If you are taking your light single or twin to do pattern work at an airfield with an 11,000 ft runway, you are running the risk of having to deal with us being there.

The flight school I work at is based at KGGG. You can't blame me for staying in the pattern where we call home. We have a 10,000' runway and a 6,000' cross runway. It's easier sometimes just to do pattern work at our home base than spend .4 or .5 on the hobbs going else where just to practice a basic pattern. Typically it's not a problem when we're in the pattern on the 6,000' strip and the heavy metal are on the 10,000' runway. It becomes more of a problem when the C-130 wants to do a touch n go on the 6,000' strip. You should come swing by GGG. I love seeing the military traffic. :D

The flight school I work at is based at KGGG. You can't blame me for staying in the pattern where we call home. We have a 10,000' runway and a 6,000' cross runway. It's easier sometimes just to do pattern work at our home base than spend .4 or .5 on the hobbs going else where just to practice a basic pattern. Typically it's not a problem when we're in the pattern on the 6,000' strip and the heavy metal are on the 10,000' runway. It becomes more of a problem when the C-130 wants to do a touch n go on the 6,000' strip. You should come swing by GGG. I love seeing the military traffic. :D
I have been there. Great airfield and good place to do practice approaches. I hear you about burning up the Hobbs, it is tough and we all have to share. I try to be mindful when I am "out of my element".

I have been there. Great airfield and good place to do practice approaches. I hear you about burning up the Hobbs, it is tough and we all have to share. I try to be mindful when I am "out of my element".

No worries, we love having you guys visit. Gets all us flight nerds excited. I know the controllers enjoy it too.

Back