Wait time and cost

zanclick

What is the current waiting time to instruct as a CFI with DCA? I was told it is about 6 weeks.

What is the "real" cost to attend this school. What does the average person pay to attend? I was quoted about 55,000.00 for the entire cost.

Thanks!

I think the wait for standz class is approx. 3-4 months right now. I would probably add 10 to 20% to the $55K. The quote is if you never unsat a lesson, never bust a stagecheck etc. If you fly nuts-on all the time I am guessing you'll be out with $55-60K. I personally think I'll be closer to $65K or so. A lot of it has to do with how quickly you pick stuff up. Factors that will influence how much it costs would include how much you are willing to study, how often you chairfly and get your flows down, how prepared you are for lessons etc.

I am going home to Washington State to live with my wife for a few months! I can't wait. First things first though, I still need to finish CFI and get hired!

Wannabe:

Why did you choose to go to DCA? Do you enjoy it and do you have any regrets? What other schools did you consider?

I chose DCA for two main reasons.

One - I thought the admissions guy that I spoke to, Tracy is his name, was very honest and didn't try to sugar coat anything too much. I know a lot of people on this board will disagree with me here, but he spelled out pretty clearly what DCA was all about. With a couple of the other schools I talked to I didn't feel as though I was getting the straight story.

Secondly - DCA will get me that guaranteed interview with Comair. I am under no illusion that it will be a lot of work, and I know not everyone makes it, but they are hiring too many grads from DCA (almost all of them actually) to think that it dosen't work. I am guessing a bit at some of these numbers as I don't know the exact figures, but 8-9 out of 10 people that have interviewed with Comair since I have been attending (since September) have been hired. Also, all of the others have gotten on with Chataqua or another regional. I have heard that two folks have washed out after being hired, one at Comair and one at Chataqua. That shows me that the training here works.

The only other school I looked at seriously was Pan-Am, but in the end DCA was definitely the place for me. I am damn happy here and no, no regrets.

There are always things to bitch about anywhere you go, and DCA isn't perfect either, but overall it is a very good school. Speaking of school, I have my CFI classroom test tomorrow and I need to quit screwing around on Jetcareers (Damn you Doug for making such an addicitve website) and study.

Hope that helps, feel free to post any other questions here and I'll do my best to answer them honestly.

I honestly don't remember why, although at the time the reason seemed pretty valid. I haven't heard much negative about the place though.

Back