Waco Fly-In

GreatLakes-Warner.jpg

:rawk::rawk:

Damn good looking airplane...

Buckers had strange landing gear geometry in which the struts jutted forward, and to my knowledge no Bucker product ever had outrigger style gear - that is a late 20's/early 30's design fad - early Waco's, Stinson's, Great Lakes, Stearmans, and Travel Air's had them among other makes. Another give away is the tail. I think you were fooled by the wing sweep and the inline engine. The early Great Lakes airplanes had Menasco Pirate's. I believe this example pictured has a 200hp Ranger. In my mind, the old inline GL's look the best, followed by the ships powered with 185 Warners (ala Harold Krier), and some I have seen with 220 Continentals (although that engine and prop set look "too big" for the airplane).

Absolutely right. In glancing at the picture, I noticed those features and immediately wrote it off as a Bucker without thinking any more about it, but after you mentioned the distinguishing features are rather obvious if I had just been smart enough to pay attention to them. Still a great looking airplane!

Edit: Another aspect I missed, is that the picture aircraft has a swept upper wing, but a straight bottom wing where I believe the Bucker wings are swept top and bottom... I might have to investigate this one.

Can he make a creme brulee? (I hear the chicks dig that sort of thing!)

Yeah, but it's the cheapscrew version. He piles some brown sugar on a cup of vanilla Jell-O and torches it with his "7-11 Special" ($.99 cig lighter). While it's not worthy of true French cuisine accolades, the chicks dig his MacGuyver-esque ingenuity.

Yeah, but it's the cheapscrew version. He piles some brown sugar on a cup of vanilla Jell-O and torches it with his "7-11 Special" ($.99 cig lighter). While it's not worthy of true French cuisine accolades, the chicks dig his MacGuyver-esque ingenuity.

I get all the hot ass!

Back