VRA questions...

Jamesrw2002

I'm currently a Navy controller at NAS Kingsville (KNQI). I have more radar experience than Tower, however when I leave the navy later this year I'll only have a CTO.

I spoke with someone in the training Department at DFW TRACON and he assured me that all I'll need to do is fill out the VRA application and contact him and I'd most likely be able to end up in Dallas. I got a response a lot like this from the guy in charge (I guess) at Corpus TRACON as well. I AM in the military so putting all my eggs in one basket is something I've learned not to do, and quite honestly I dont really mind where I go although I've always loved the city. I'd DIE if I could goto NYC or Boston.. but none the same I dont mind.

I would like someone to shed some light on this VRA announcement the guy at Dallas told be about (he gave me the name and number of the lady who publishes them in OKC)... from what I gather it is something used for prior military.. but that's all I can gather from the websites.

Here are my questions:

Am I only elligible VRA or can I be hired as a prior controller?

What can I expect in my first year with the FAA assuming I get picked up at a major facility or even a smaller one like Corpus? (pay, the FAA academy and what not)

How is the training process in the FAA? I've been able to advance at a pretty moderate speed at NQI... being that it is one of the more complex TRACONS in the Navy, I'm hoping that I've picked something up as far as study habits and what not.

I appreciate your help guys... I'm looking forward to my transition hopefully this year..

-James

The VRA (Veteran Readjustment Act) gives them special hiring authority, it can make it easier (quicker) to hire you, but not always. I was hired under VRA at a different agency moons ago, but the process hasn't changed

It doesn't stop you from applying thought normal channels.

I'm not with the FAA so I can only speak to the VRA. I would suggest calling the lady at OKC, she can probably give you some good information, the HR types are usually pretty helpful. I can tell you they are under a pay banding system, which is different than the regular GS system, you can look it up on the FAA website I believe.

i was hired VRA, former Navy also, and I will tell you that it is quicker so far as I can tell. I applied in May, had my interview in june and was offered an academy date in october. I dont know if that guy at DFW really has authority to hire you though. I think you have to be selected by a hiring panel for that facility so unless hes on that panel im dont know if thats a possibilty or not. Let me know if you have any questions man, i graduated the academy on friday so I might have some good info for u

i was hired VRA, former Navy also, and I will tell you that it is quicker so far as I can tell. I applied in May, had my interview in june and was offered an academy date in october. I dont know if that guy at DFW really has authority to hire you though. I think you have to be selected by a hiring panel for that facility so unless hes on that panel im dont know if thats a possibilty or not. Let me know if you have any questions man, i graduated the academy on friday so I might have some good info for u

Whoa.. I did not realize it takes that long from your interview till your class date in the FAA..

Is that the norm?

Do you have to have your DD-214 in hand when you fill out the application and interview?

I'm currently a Navy controller at NAS Kingsville (KNQI). I have more radar experience than Tower, however when I leave the navy later this year I'll only have a CTO.
A CTO is all you will need, actually the best thing you can have to join the FAA.

Am I only elligible VRA or can I be hired as a prior controller?
VRA basically means you are a prior controller with experience.

What can I expect in my first year with the FAA assuming I get picked up at a major facility or even a smaller one like Corpus? (pay, the FAA academy and what not)
If you are eligible(which it sounds like you are) you will get a 20K bonus. Expect to make 34K plus locality, plus about $80/day per diem while at OKC. After you get some certs you will increase pay in steps. If you do get DFW then you will be right around 100K once you are fully qualified.

How is the training process in the FAA?
Each place is different, but it will mostly consist of memorizing approach plates and LOA's, etc... then plenty of simulator work and live traffic. Probably very similar to what you did in teh NAVY I would imagine.
I spoke with someone in the training Department at DFW TRACON and he assured me that all I'll need to do is fill out the VRA application and contact him and I'd most likely be able to end up in Dallas. I got a response a lot like this from the guy in charge (I guess) at Corpus TRACON as well. I AM in the military so putting all my eggs in one basket is something I've learned not to do, and quite honestly I dont really mind where I go although I've always loved the city. I'd DIE if I could goto NYC or Boston.. but none the same I dont mind.
If you do have someone who is in a position to pull some strings for you then it is definitely possible to get where you want to go. I did it and got what I wanted... as long as you are wanted at a certain facility, there is a slot available and the person making selections is notified then you should have no problem. MOST managers wont pull strings but some will.

Also, Boston and NY area are hurting and not too many people want to go there... if you apply for i you will probably get it.

Whoa.. I did not realize it takes that long from your interview till your class date in the FAA..

Is that the norm?

Do you have to have your DD-214 in hand when you fill out the application and interview?

I thought the same thing, I thought it was taking forever. However, after talking to all my classmates and other people at the academy, I realized that I was really lucky and my hiring process was fairly quick. You can apply without your DD-214, I did, and its probaly a smart thing to do since it does take so long. Dont do it too early though cause if they want you to do your equip security clearance and u dont have it, you wont be able to complete it. I would say probally about 2 months from your EAOS go ahead and start applying VRA or CTO if you have it, I did both

Back