VRA announcements

jcjr01

Everyone on here seems to be going through the PUBNAT's...is anyone going through the VRA announcements? Everything seems to be different with the timing on app process with the VRA. Just wondered if there were any fellow veterans on here to pow wow with about this

Everyone on here seems to be going through the PUBNAT's...is anyone going through the VRA announcements? Everything seems to be different with the timing on app process with the VRA. Just wondered if there were any fellow veterans on here to pow wow with about this

I applied through a few VRAs before i applied to PUBNAT 7&8. The first few I applied to got referral lists pretty quickly. The last few I applied to still don't have referral list made and it's been about 10 months, give or take. I didn't make any of the referral lists on the first few because I didn't get my CTO while I was in the Navy, even though it is not a requirement in the current announcements. I know before the PUBNATs started they did require a CTO, though.

I tried explaining to the VRA recruiter that I was trainable, but I didn't receive a CTO at my first command due to collateral duties and that my ship board RADAR quals (I was a sup) didn't qualify me. So, here I am suck in the never-ending PUBNAT. VRA is the way to go IF you have a CTO, otherwise it's almost pointless. Don't take my word for it, call OKC and ask for the VRA recruiter. He will actually call you back (apparently a rarity around these parts).

I heard from a quasi reliable source that they just had a panel meet for the VRA announcements though, but since I don't see any difference in any of my referral lists, I don't know how accurate that may have been.

PS. I was good friends with AC1 Vernon back in "A" school and still keep in touch with him on occasion. ACC Cumpton also made it to my TACRON command before I was discharged.

You can apply to both...just so you know. Being a veteran gives you some good brownie points for PUBNATs

You can apply VRA if you don't have a CTO....The FAA doesn't consider controlling a radar pattern from a ship to be experience....if you have a radar ticket in the AF they'll take you

You can apply VRA if you don't have a CTO....The FAA doesn't consider controlling a radar pattern from a ship to be experience....if you have a radar ticket in the AF they'll take you

Yeah, my fault. CTO or a shore based RADAR ticket will get you in the door. You can apply without either under the VRA announcement, just probably without much luck.

One of my friends just recieved an e-mail for his VRA app telling him he was selected for KY and NC.

what were his geo prefs? I have throughout Alaska (hoping to get this one) and throughout Florida....if I can't get Alaska, hope to be able to stay in my home state

the assistant facility director in Anchorage told my friend who is already up there that she couldn't find me on her referral list...what could have went wrong?? The ASAP has a "submitted" status, and I've had someone look over my ASAP app and he said everything seems to be in order...arghhhh....

the assistant facility director in Anchorage told my friend who is already up there that she couldn't find me on her referral list...what could have went wrong?? The ASAP has a "submitted" status, and I've had someone look over my ASAP app and he said everything seems to be in order...arghhhh....

In ASAP click on the "submitted" link. at the bottom you will see something that says one of 3 things:

1.) No Referral Lists have been created for Announcement # _____________

A panel has to meet and review the specific announcement for which you applied in order to be put on a referral list. The ATM needs for you to be referred before they can even review you application. If it has been more than 6 months w/o a referral list being created call Aviation Careers in OKC and tell them about your situation and ask them what is going on with that announcement.

2.) Referral list _________: Issued on _________ for the Throughout ________ duty location at the _____ grade/payband.
A list of the most qualified applicants has been sent to the office with announcement # ____________. Your application was not included at this time. Please continue to check back for status updates.

Call Aviation Careers and ask them why your application was not included on the referral list. Once again, the ATM cannot see your application until it is on a referral list.

3.) Referral list ____________: Issued on ___________ for the Throughout __________ duty location at the _____ grade/payband.
Your application is among those being reviewed by the office with announcement # _________________. You may or may not be contacted for an interview. Please continue to check back for status updates.

If this is the status message you have received the ATM in AK should have your application. Call Aviation Careers to find out who dropped the ball or if something else is amiss.

Keep applying to the VRAs and even the PUBNATs until you get in. It doesn't hurt, and it only takes a second to do since you already have most of the stuff filled out anyway.

It says...

Your application for announcement # AAC-AMH-09-VRA-12513 has been received
Based on your answers to the Military Background questions, you also appear to be entitled to Veterans Preference. For more information about Veterans Preference in hiring, click HERE
It appears you may also be eligible for a non-competitive Veterans Readjustment Appointment. For more information about the VRA, you can click HERE or call the contact person listed in the vacancy announcement.

and under referral status....

Referrals are based on submitted questionnaire at time of referral

Will try to make some calls

It says...

Your application for announcement # AAC-AMH-09-VRA-12513 has been received
Based on your answers to the Military Background questions, you also appear to be entitled to Veterans Preference. For more information about Veterans Preference in hiring, click HERE
It appears you may also be eligible for a non-competitive Veterans Readjustment Appointment. For more information about the VRA, you can click HERE or call the contact person listed in the vacancy announcement.

and under referral status....

Referrals are based on submitted questionnaire at time of referral

Will try to make some calls

Hmm. Don't know what that means. Let us know back here after you speak to A.C.

talked to an HR rep in OKC...said that if a referral list was made for AK (it was) and I wasn't on it (I wasn't) that I go back into the pool and maybe better luck next round...so....It's hurry up and wait again...but the clock's ticking...I'll be 30 in Jan, so this is my last year :(

ATCJefe, did you hold any ratings when you were in the navy? i'm surprised you weren't selected for consideration. that kinda scares me!

ATCJefe, did you hold any ratings when you were in the navy? i'm surprised you weren't selected for consideration. that kinda scares me!

I never got a CTO or a shore based RADAR ticket. I was supervisor in the Tactical Air Control Center on an amphibeous assault ship, but that doesn't translate to anything the FAA cares about.

My buddy with a CTO didn't get selected through the VRA announcements (He thinks it's b/c the states he selected weren't hiring). He turns 31 on the 28th so I don't think there is anything he can do.

My buddy with a CTO didn't get selected through the VRA announcements (He thinks it's b/c the states he selected weren't hiring). He turns 31 on the 28th so I don't think there is anything he can do.

they should just offer him another state. i'm sure he would take it as opposed to being unemployed! that is really discouraging news. do you think maybe he had stiff competition being that is was a vra announcement? i say this because i know several of my coworkers in the af got out and went to the faa. they were all fully certified controllers and many had certs from multiple bases because they went to iraq on deployments. it still seems like they should have picked him up for somewhere with his experience. your friend should be able to get a contract job though if he had his cto. so he has options at least.

they should just offer him another state. i'm sure he would take it as opposed to being unemployed! that is really discouraging news. do you think maybe he had stiff competition being that is was a vra announcement? i say this because i know several of my coworkers in the af got out and went to the faa. they were all fully certified controllers and many had certs from multiple bases because they went to iraq on deployments. it still seems like they should have picked him up for somewhere with his experience. your friend should be able to get a contract job though if he had his cto. so he has options at least.

Yeah, I spoke at length about it with him. He is dead set on staying in the NC area and unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of contract jobs out that way. He has applied to DOD and Dept. of the Navy jobs in the area with no luck. I'm not sure what happened, but you're right, it is very discouraging news. The only solace I can take is that he is the only VRA applicant that I have ever heard of not even being granted an interview.

Back