VOR question

E_Dawg

Two questions:
-VOR/DMEs and VORTACs have a 'Ch ##' (like Ch 97) on the chart. What is this for?
My guess is that some military aircraft might use it as an easier way to tune in the DME information.

-When would a compass rose not be shown on a chart?
My guess is that it's not shown when no airways are associated with the VOR and having the compass rose would add to an already cluttered map.

Thanks!

I don't know for sure, but I believe the channels are for UHF radios found in military aircraft. The VOR's without compass roses I believe are terminal class VOR's.

>>
-VOR/DMEs and VORTACs have a 'Ch ##' (like Ch 97) on the chart. What is this for?
My guess is that some military aircraft might use it as an easier way to tune in the DME information.
<<

The channel number is for TACAN-equipped aircraft. TACAN is military equipment, but it is possible to have a TACAN unit installed in your civilian aircraft also. There is no practical need for this, as VOR/DME equipment accomplishes the same things.

The TACAN unit is tuned to the channel number, and the readout is radial and distance information from the TACAN ground station.

When you see a VOR/DME frequency box with TACAN channel information also located therein, the correct name for the navaid is VORTAC, or colocated VOR/DME (for civilian users) and TACAN (for military users) station.

Civilian VOR/DME equipped aircraft can use TACAN-only stations (typically found on military air bases) in a limited way to give you distance-only information from the TACAN station. No radial information will be available. Simply look up the TACAN channel in the frequency pairing table found in the front section of the Airport/Facility Directory and tune your nav receiver to the VHF frequency associated with the TACAN channel. Note that there may be 2 frequencies associated with a numbered TACAN channel, depending upon whether the channel is in the "X" or "Y" band, but one of them will give you distance info (provided, of course, that the TACAN ground station concerned is operational).

[ QUOTE ]

-When would a compass rose not be shown on a chart?
My guess is that it's not shown when no airways are associated with the VOR and having the compass rose would add to an already cluttered map.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

The TACAN info is correct.

Your own answer to your question #2 is also correct. A compass rose is not required to surround a VOR/VORTAC if no airways are serviced by that navaid. Look at the PHX sectionalif you have a chance. You'll notice that PXR (Phoenix) VORTAC has a compass rose, while IWA (Willie) VORTAC doesn't.

To reiterate what was already said -

I got the compass rose question during my private oral. I answered that I have only seen two omissions and both were terminal VORs. The examiner seemed happy with that response.

Is there actually a rule? Or are we just making observations?

[ QUOTE ]
To reiterate what was already said -

I got the compass rose question during my private oral. I answered that I have only seen two omissions and both were terminal VORs. The examiner seemed happy with that response.

Is there actually a rule? Or are we just making observations?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's in the FAA regs concerning National Arispace makeup.

i am trying to see this for myself, except for I dont know where Willie is??????

On the Klamath Falls Sectional, VOR RDD is shown and it HAS the compass rose, but there are no airways associated with this VOR... just approaches.

ok, I found Willie.. near Williams... DUH. but the rest of my question is unanswered
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ok, I found Willie.. near Williams... DUH. but the rest of my question is unanswered
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the rest of your question? (am not seeing any other posts from you other than the previous 2 in this thread)
smile.gif

sorry i wasnt clear as coulda been...

the earlier comment suggested that if a VOR was not associated with an airway, and a terminal VOR was given as an example, then it would not have a compass rose. That on its own seemed reasonable, except for I found a contradictory example here in my home town. the RDD VOR is not associated with an airway, yet on the sectional map it has a compass rose.

At this writing, I am not exactly sure if RDD is a terminal VOR or not. I DO know that it is not used to define airways and it DOES have a compass rose...

DeanR

well, I know THAT
smile.gif
:):) I am here upstairs in front of the Dell PC and the AFD is downstairs... ok.. here I go... be back in a minute
smile.gif

And I thought I was lazy...I'd probably search through all available online aviation info. sources for an hour to avoid the half minute run downstairs.

well...

I just posted a reply that for some reason hasnt appeared (PC ineptitude could be a factor), so here goes the reply in boil-down form:

1) The Redding VOR on the Klamath Falls VFR Sectional is a TERMINAL VOR, as per the AF/D.

2) The Redding VOR is not associated with ANY airways.

3) The Redding VOR is depicted on the K-Falls VFR Chart with a compass rose.

So, the essence of my question is more or less the subject of this post, and that is when does the compass rose get printed and when does it not???

DeanR

[ QUOTE ]
well...

I just posted a reply that for some reason hasnt appeared (PC ineptitude could be a factor), so here goes the reply in boil-down form:

1) The Redding VOR on the Klamath Falls VFR Sectional is a TERMINAL VOR, as per the AF/D.

2) The Redding VOR is not associated with ANY airways.

3) The Redding VOR is depicted on the K-Falls VFR Chart with a compass rose.

So, the essence of my question is more or less the subject of this post, and that is when does the compass rose get printed and when does it not???

DeanR

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it with your example, a compas rose isn't required on a VOR/VORTAC that doesn't have airways running to/from it. That doesn't mean a compass rose can't or won't be there, though.

Ok Mike, now ya got me really interested
smile.gif
(and this is coming from a guy whose LAST career was with digital mapping and cartography).

So, what IS the criteria.. WHHHHHEEENNN does a VOR get the Rose treatment and when DOESNT it.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok Mike, now ya got me really interested
smile.gif
(and this is coming from a guy whose LAST career was with digital mapping and cartography).

So, what IS the criteria.. WHHHHHEEENNN does a VOR get the Rose treatment and when DOESNT it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm researching that too. It's in the FAA pubs on National Airspace System, and I'd seen it years back, but I'm trying to find the source now.

Maybe some guy just looks at it and decides wether or not to put it there based on surrounding clutter. That's what I would do anyway...
tongue.gif

...just a thought!
wink.gif

What kind of chart are we talking about? IFR VFR? On a Jepp IFR low alt chart if the VOR is not associated with an airway there will not be a box around the info. (LIke MKL 109.0etc.

Also, Clutter is the reason some are removed on Jepp IFR charts.

I don't think clutter has much to do with it... all of the VORs in the New York area have roses- and unfortunately with all the clutter, it is very difficult to make out the radials.

Back