Volunteer Work

Athena

I am looking to volunteer with my spare time and would like some suggestions as to avation related or non aviation related volunteer organizations. Ideally I would like to gain aviation experience and make more aviation friends. I would be just as happy to have a chance to improve my management skills. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I am in training to be a Hospice worker, so that is an idea, I have also sent in an application to volunteer my time at the Long Beach Airport, there is an upcoming airshow, perhaps an airport close to you is looking for volunteers.

Another one i am thinking of doing later on is a program that flies people to medical appointments. I think it is called heartflight. Does this ring any bells to anyone?

There is also AirLifeLine and AngelFlight (although I think those two may have merged, not sure). I would love to do something like that, but my boss just won't give me a break on rental rates, so theres no way I can afford it.

we have a couple vintage aircraft associations here in Western NY...i think its like a $35 year contribution and then you pretty much voulunteer your time to do tours, help restore a/c and things like that. i'm really wanting to look into that. maybe theres something like that near you.

[ QUOTE ]
There is also AirLifeLine and AngelFlight (although I think those two may have merged, not sure)...

[/ QUOTE ]They have merged and, according to their web site at Angel Flight, are "the largest volunteer pilot organization in the country with over 5,000 volunteer pilots and the coordination of more than 20,000 mission requests each year."

This organization needs more pilots all the time, and there's hardly a better excuse to fly. As soon as I reach the 250 hour PIC requirement, I hope to voluteer for them whenever I can.

[ QUOTE ]
As soon as I reach the 250 hour PIC requirement, I hope to voluteer for them whenever I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry about the 250 hr requirement. Sign up anyway and volunteer as a co-pilot. I did the exact thing after a recommendation from MidLifeFlyer. Some pilots may like to have another pilot to help with radios or whatever else is needed. It is a great way to help out and see how the program works. It provides another opportunity to Network !, Network !, Network !..... Hmmm, where have I heard that before?
grin.gif

For the most part, us " young wipersnapers" are out of place in the CAF. That's NOT a good thing. Most of the guys flying and maintaining these aircraft are well into retirement age. When they're gone, so will be their expertice. Nobody is getting any younger.

You'll have to put up with the normal amount of ribbing and pay your dues, but these guy's are egaer to pass on what they know. If we want to see these aircraft still flying in twenty years we have to get involved and contribute. So get your hands dirty and "keep em flyin!"

Also, where else are you going to get SIC time in a B-25 or C-46?

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182078-1.html

Back