Vision Waiver

Wm226

I have heard that a waiver for vision may be issued while in the Air Force to assume airman duties. Will such waiver cover even vision that requires one to wear corrected lenses while flying? Any additional details will be appreciated.

Thank you,
William

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard that a waiver for vision may be issued while in the Air Force to assume airman duties. Will such waiver cover even vision that requires one to wear corrected lenses while flying? Any additional details will be appreciated.

Thank you,
William

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Vision correctable to 20/20.

OMG! So I can have REALLY bad vision and as long as it is correctable... I may be able to fly for the Air Force???
shocked.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
OMG! So I can have REALLY bad vision and as long as it is correctable... I may be able to fly for the Air Force???
shocked.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There's other limitations, such as I believe no worse than 20/60, or thereabouts, prior to correctable to 20/20. Then there is color vision, near/farsight measurements, glaucoma measurements, etc.

Thank you MikeD! I want to look more into this!

If my vision is not good enough, however, what other Officer inflight-related opportunities does the Air Force have for me besides Pilot?

Thank you,
William

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you MikeD! I want to look more into this!

If my vision is not good enough, however, what other Officer inflight-related opportunities does the Air Force have for me besides Pilot?

Thank you,
William

[/ QUOTE ]

Few slots for Navigators, though they are becoming fewer these days. Also Officer aircrew opportunities such as Air Battle managers.

[ QUOTE ]
Few slots for Navigators, though they are becoming fewer these days. Also Officer aircrew opportunities such as Air Battle managers.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is an Air Battle Manager?

Thank you,
William

ABMs are responsible for orchestrating the air battle from aircraft like the AWACS E-3 or JSTARS E-8. Its not a cockpit job, but you'll be in the air for sure....likely for many, many hours. Remember those blackhawks that got shot down by F-15s in Gulf War I? The guy in the AWACs who was garnering most of the blame for that was the ABM.

Awesome! Sounds like a very exciting job!

I have been wanting to serve in the Army as an officer since I was a kid, however, just recently I have been considering the Air Force as well because I do not think I can pass off the offer of possibly having an in-flight opportunity. It is a very hard choice for me to make... as I do not have the best vision and fear it may keep me from in-flight opportunities in the Air Force.

Any comments and details into helping me decide will be FULLY appreciated.

Thank you,
William

[ QUOTE ]
Remember those blackhawks that got shot down by F-15s in Gulf War I? The guy in the AWACs who was garnering most of the blame for that was the ABM.

[/ QUOTE ]

When it should've been the Eagle Drivers getting slammed for it, not the ABM.
mad.gif

But that's a whole different discussion.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Remember those blackhawks that got shot down by F-15s in Gulf War I? The guy in the AWACs who was garnering most of the blame for that was the ABM.

[/ QUOTE ]

When it should've been the Eagle Drivers getting slammed for it, not the ABM.
mad.gif

But that's a whole different discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

[ QUOTE ]
There's other limitations, such as I believe no worse than 20/60, or thereabouts, prior to correctable to 20/20.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if my vision is like 20/300 or something like that, where I can't see 3 feet in front of my face without my glasses, there is no hope for me even with laser surgury?
frown.gif

I really want to fly tankers or transports if I do go inot the Air Force, so would the vision requirements be easier for flying the bigger, slower stuff, rather than fighter jets?
thanks

It's bleak I know, but you can still be a civilian pilot!
With 20/300 vision your chances of gettting a flying position with any federal/gov/military agency are slim. The flight physicals are pretty much the same for all of them. I was in the same boat and couldn't even become an observer on a slow helo.

Wow! Seems way too awesome! Do the waivers apply only to the Air National Guard or is the process exactly the same with Air Force Active Duty?

Thank you,
William

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's with both. Go to www.baseops.net and search the question in their forum. There's a bunch of good info there. Go to the medical section...

S

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! However, I can't seem to get into their forum. Is it working for you? It says: "This Action Is Not Allowed".

Back