Vision test/Medical/Form 8500-7

allenchromo

I am due for a my 3rd class medical certification soon. It is possible that I will not meet the 20/40 requirement for one of my eyes. It was damaged and repaired years ago and has recently had a cataract surgery. I see well out of the eye, but again, I may not meet the requirements for the certification. I see well with both eyes now, but the left is not great close for small print. I'm 20/20 right and 20/40 left both corrected. It has not been an issue during training. I've flown many hours and am getting ready for the checkride.

I see that there is a possibility to be designated a monocular pilot. Do I need to request this before I have my physical, or do I essentially "fail" the physical and then work with a doctor to submit the form 8500-7?

It seems possible that I might not be able to fly anymore bc I won't be able to pass the 16" test for closeup vision in one eye.

I would appreciate any guidance you have to offer me. Thank you.

Hi Allenchromo,

The standards for a 3rd class Medical are 20/40 in each eye, distance and near, with or without correction. It sound like you are worried the left eye won't meet standards with correction?

I would have your eye doctor fill out a form 8500-7 Report of Eye Evaluation. Perhaps if you can show the AME that you meet standards on the 8500-7 they will issue you a certificate. If not the application will be deferred. You will receive a letter from the FAA asking for that same 8500-7 form plus any other medical records they may want. They will take that information and decide whether or not to issue a certificate under special issuance rules. You don't need to make a special request of any sort.

Best Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Dr. Florkowski,

Your assessment is correct.

Thank you very much. This seems like a practical and actionable plan.

My sincerest thanks.

If you are that close, I would visit an ophthalmologist or a damn good optician and describe your needs.

There are a few tricks that you can try. See if you can look a few degrees off the target and move your glasses to see if you can do an off-center correction.

Last edited:
If you are that close, I would visit an ophthalmologist or a damn good optician and describe your needs.

There are a few tricks that you can try. See if you can look a few degrees off the target and move your glasses to see if you can do an off-center correction.

Squinting helps also.

I see that there is a possibility to be designated a monocular pilot. Do I need to request this before I have my physical, or do I essentially "fail" the physical and then work with a doctor to submit the form 8500-7?

I'm not sure how this works from your end, but I damaged my vision in one eye beyond repair later on in my career and the process wasn't too terrible at all. The medical flight test was straight forward and fair.

Back