Virgin Galactic Cockpit photos...

I wonder how many rich people that thing is going to kill...

You know, I see the skepticism of something new, but remember that was everyone's attitude for aircraft around 1910-1920.

Things change, and our understanding of high speed aerodynamics over the years have gotten much much better. Although I would like to see a secondary method of creating drag than the tilting wing. Since if that fails... heat will destroy the epoxy creating a total loss at high altitude.

Good news is it's unlikely that will fail.

So I hope no rich people are killed and we all get to go when it's everyone's turn (I mean, like 50 years from now... same way DC-3's were for rich people and then came the 747... and no... not 707... that was still rich people).

My impression of those cats is that of the original days of NASA.

Apollo 13 mission commander was 20 X years old shy of 25 and damn smart.

Same with these cats.

I read an article on the "kid" who designed their last aircraft--yes, in his 20's. Thing got in a "verticle spin" (aviation pros--please correct) and the "kid" had anticipated it. the pilot worked the problem and they recovered.

This ain't government, this is freedom, truth , justice and the American Way.

This is the first flight in a Jenny.

We are seeing history here.

b.

I should mention that there are going to be those that say they haven't paid their dues.

If you're mad you didn't go into engineering, not our problem. These guys are really taking big risks and managing them just right. I'm eventually going back to school for Aerospace Engineering and I know I won't be able to touch these guys. These guys really outshine NASA and ESA.

It has the same oxygen equipment that we had in the T-34C...don't know what that says about it.

Anybody read the article in the EAA magazine about this thing? Awesome.

Everything I read about Scaled just makes me envious...it sounds like what Skunk Works must have been like back in the day...

You know, I see the skepticism of something new, but remember that was everyone's attitude for aircraft around 1910-1920.

... when a lot of reach people were killed in airplanes.

Maybe I'm strange, but I have no interest whatsoever in going into space. If they offered me a spot on the shuttle tomorrow I'd decline. But that's just me.

... when a lot of reach people were killed in airplanes.

Maybe I'm strange, but I have no interest whatsoever in going into space. If they offered me a spot on the shuttle tomorrow I'd decline. But that's just me.

No you wouldnt, and if you did your an idiot.

Things change, and our understanding of high speed aerodynamics over the years have gotten much much better. Although I would like to see a secondary method of creating drag than the tilting wing. Since if that fails... heat will destroy the epoxy creating a total loss at high altitude.

Good news is it's unlikely that will fail.

So I hope no rich people are killed and we all get to go when it's everyone's turn (I mean, like 50 years from now... same way DC-3's were for rich people and then came the 747... and no... not 707... that was still rich people).

Nice post!

That machine is awesome. And although I do not have $200,000 to take the trip, That price tag doesn't really seem all that steep to me to venture into space. I would take that trip over a lamborghini any day. :D

Seriously though, does anyone know why White Knight 2 has the two separate fuselages? And in which one do the pilot's controls reside?

Answered my own question:

WhiteKnightTwo consists of a twin boom with two jet engines per hull.<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[8]</sup> One hull is an exact replica of that of SpaceShipTwo (to allow tourist training), and the other will carry cut-rate day-trippers into the stratosphere.

One hull is an exact replica of that of SpaceShipTwo (to allow tourist training)

Is it just me or does that have a bad Gulfstream ring to it.

For just 2 million dollars you could be a FO of the space shuttling hauling stuff into space. It is the fast track to the moon. Don't waste your time CFIing when you could fly the shuttle.

Back