Virgin For Sale

So all ops moving to SEA?

I would presume so. From an article I just saw online: The newly combined company will be based in Seattle and the deal has been "unanimously approved" by both companies' boards. Of course, they could keep separate offices for a while, but I would imagine that they will eventually combine dispatch offices such as has happened in other recent mergers and move everyone to SEA. On the plus side...SEA, while pricey, is cheaper than SFO, and it's a lot closer to California than if JetBlue had acquired them. On the negative side...VX dispatchers are not unionized, so I imagine they will be stapled to the bottom of Alaska's seniority list.

I'm afraid you are probably right. VX dxers are kind of flapping in the breeze here. Hope they can find some way not to get screwed, but there's no protection from them losing all seniority and effectively coming on as new hires, probation and all. :(

I'm afraid you are probably right. VX dxers are kind of flapping in the breeze here. Hope they can find some way not to get screwed, but there's no protection from them losing all seniority and effectively coming on as new hires, probation and all. :(
I have a friend who is one.

Hoping it all goes well for him.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Boy am I glad we didn't cough up $2.6bn and took on another $2bn in debt. Good luck to the VX dispatchers and other crew, hope Alaska doesn't disband you guys.

Perhaps I lucked out. I interviewed there in October. I have family in California so I was pretty excited, cost of living aside. They selected two then, and called myself and presumably another one or two later in November. I submitted a drug test, background check, motor vehicle history, the whole nine yards...and then all communication abruptly stopped in mid January. I couldn't get anyone to update me about the process. At the time I was baffled and kind of salty about it...but now, maybe it makes sense.

Perhaps I lucked out. I interviewed there in October. I have family in California so I was pretty excited, cost of living aside. They selected two then, and called myself and presumably another one or two later in November. I submitted a drug test, background check, motor vehicle history, the whole nine yards...and then all communication abruptly stopped in mid January. I couldn't get anyone to update me about the process. At the time I was baffled and kind of salty about it...but now, maybe it makes sense.

Sometimes the job you really wanted and ended up not getting turns out to be the best thing that could have happened to you.

Sometimes the job you really wanted and ended up not getting turns out to be the best thing that could have happened to you.

Amen. This has been true multiple times in my life. I was crushed when I was turned down for a fairly vanilla office job straight out of college. Now I look back and am truly astounded at my fortune.

Hopefully some of those Airbus go up for sale and land at a certain airline out there looking to go all Airbus :)

Well since im starting at Allegiant some newish (for them) Airbus would be exciting for me. Those planes are all under 10 years old though so they dont fit their MO.

It's possible that they might sell off a few, but I believe that with this purchase Alaska is abandoning the single fleet type model. Too many airplanes in the Virgin fleet and not enough 737's on the market and pipeline.

Probably not a bad idea to keep them. Read through the thread in the main section of this board and some financial guy said having a diverse fleet is still profitable as long as you get enough of the second type.

And with the age of those planes, they are still probably very low maintenance.

As a footnote to this merger/buyout, the VX CEO, David Cush, will evidently collect $15 million in severance pay for completing the deal. Nice work if you can get it, I suppose.

Details here for anyone interested, on page 35: http://1.usa.gov/1W3SZfd

All of the Airbus a/c are wet lease with the first ones dropping off in 2020. So AS can keep them and us them on the same runs that have made VX and that the SFO/LAX/JFK crowd have enjoyed flying. At the same time AS can evaluate keeping them. Or AS can just let them all go back to the leasing company beginning in 2020.

Some suggest that AS may even keep some portion of VX alive and flying for that reason. Lets face it, while AS is as solid and trustworthy as your Grandmother....well..she's still your granny. VX is like your hot cousin from Alabama... (too far?) I have read a zillion comments from AS staff basically stating that bringing on VX will lift them up into the 21st century. Kinda sad really. But true. Have you seen the "new livery" for AS? They basically added two new pin stripes to "celebrate their wild tropical side" now that they fly to HI. Seriously? Wow. Okay. Its still basically Borscht in Blue if you ax me.

Most of the employees have been told (as well as the public) that things will not move too much until a SOC is obtained from the FAA and then it will be thru Q1 of 2018.

The whole thing is gonna git outta control when seniority becomes an issue....Even tho they aint got no union in the OCC at VX.
The Silver-ish lining is that lots of folks will now have new domiciles and wont have to commute anymore and as for working in SF or SEA...both are nice places to eat drink and be merry.

Back