Virgin America's 2015 big Pilot pay raise

Percentage wise? Sure. Dollar wise? No.

Even dollar wise, this is a substantial raise and nearly mirrors jetBlue A320 on hourly rates alone. I was surprised that was as high as this. Technically they know an ALPA drive is coming and they could have just left our current rates and let it lock in once the cards passed. We would then have to start negotiating off those lower rates.

Must have assessed that after my 320 school because I drank beer with quite a few former-VA new hires at the ALPA pub event about six months ago!
e4cdd9a6b7ea67603a51edb1367db539.jpg

The harsh reality is the "big pilot pay raise" just brought them to the industry average. Perspective is a hell of a thing.

True. But like you said, perspective. This was unexpected and a pretty large increase based on the current rates. We've always only gotten raises on the order of $5-10/hr so this one was more than double the expected amount and on hourly rates alone pretty much match jetBlue's A320 rates from 2014-2015. Now lets get this merger going ;)

And the work rules are what? Not slamming you guys, just wondering. JB has a lot of work to do.

Still quite a bit less than JB's rates. Good to see an increase though.

JB (2015) 320 FO
1- $49.56
2- $84.54
3- $99.58
4- $107.93
5- $112.86

JB (2015) 320 CA
5- $185.42
6- $187.77
7- $190.12
8 - $192.54
9- $194.98

APC doesn't update unless someone submits (and even then whether they decide to use the update).

We get PEA raises through next year.

Ah ok I see. Sounds like the PEA had a multiple year increase. Out mgt only gives a one year raise at a time. So once ALPA passes this year we are going to be stuck on these rates for a while until we get a new CBA.

I'm aiming to beat that this month. I've went to work 1 day so far. 4 legs for 5.6 overall.
You should probably disclose that you are no longer a (regional) airline pilot when you make such announcements ;)

Although I went two months this summer where I flew about 5 hours and credited 90 hours.

Ah ok I see. Sounds like the PEA had a multiple year increase. Out mgt only gives a one year raise at a time. So once ALPA passes this year we are going to be stuck on these rates for a while until we get a new CBA.

Yeah, the new PEA had a three year increase over time. Sad thing is, in 2016 when we get the last increase, we're about where we SHOULD have been in 2014. We used to do the "one year at a time," but no where was that guaranteed or how much it was going to be. They'd get creative with things like contract cut off dates (ie the current Delta rate wasn't good because they started the process before they ratified that contract, etc) and then they decided to jack with the peer set group to change the ball game. So, in a year where all common sense said we should get a 10% raise, we'd get a 2% raise. Fast forward to a year where we should get a 15-20% raise, and we'd get a 10%. Essentially, they had a figure in mind, then it seemed like they'd alter the data presented to us to back up that figure and expect us not to use our brains. I think that was the driving factor behind ALPA being voted in almost as much as the healthcare debacle. Take those two management mis-steps away, and we're still non-union. Your management is playing the "pay them and they'll be happy" game where ours was more into placating the shareholders instead.

Back