VIP on this morning's flight from DFW

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
VIP on this morning\'s flight from DFW

We had a bunch of guys in black suits and earphones in their ear this morning. Kind of freaky because this was the first flight of the day and I was running a little late.

So I step on the airplane and put my bag away and low and behold, Jimmy Carter shakes me hand and tells me good morning.

Wow! There's a suprise!

Before we finished boarding, he made sure to go back in coach and greet the passengers and stopped back in the cockpit to thank us and say in the southern accent, "Whenever I fly Delta I feel like I'm already home."

Normally, celebs, notables and VIPs have all the presence of a full cat box, but Jimmy's got some big time star power, a kind presence and is probably once of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Re: VIP on this morning\'s flight from DFW

Always liked that man. Mom worked on his campaign back in the day and I got to meet him a couple of times.

Sincerely nice man. And incredibly smart... regardless of how his presidency turned out.

[ QUOTE ]
.Sincerely nice man. And incredibly smart... regardless of how his presidency turned out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even our highly Republican jumpseater was like "Wow, that was the friendliest guy on earth."

Carter is a really good guy. I met him at a trade show where he was the keynote speaker. He was wandering through afterwards, and stopped by my booth, and we got to talking about Habitat for Humanity. He sat down and started talking with me.

Here's a guy who was the most powerful person on the face of the earth sitting down and chatting with some random guy.

I was impressed. What a class act.

Everybody knows I'm a conservative by now ... and as such, it probably wouldn't be surprising that I didn't think much of Carter's presidency.

That said, everybody I know that has met President Carter has said exactly what Doug and Tony did, that the guy is a first-class person and an all-around class act. Regardless of his politics, he has been regarded as the "gold standard" for the conduct of Presidents once out of office. For that reason, I've got a ton of respect for the guy and would welcome the opportunity to meet the man and shake his hand. I think you'd find most conservatives feel the same way.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
Everybody knows I'm a conservative by now ...

[/ QUOTE ]
You???? C'mon!!! NAAAAWWWWW... get out!!
wink.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think much of Carter's presidency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow are you old enough to remember when JC was in office? or from what you read(have been told) you don't like it?

[ QUOTE ]
Wow are you old enough to remember when JC was in office? or from what you read(have been told) you don't like it?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the first thought that crossed my mind too. Pretty much the first time you saw "Democrat" anywhere near President Carter's name, you thought "bad president"... and went on to research what he did wrong as opposed to what he did right... Come on - admit it... we know.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the first thought that crossed my mind too. Pretty much the first time you saw "Democrat" anywhere near President Carter's name, you thought "bad president"... and went on to research what he did wrong as opposed to what he did right... Come on - admit it... we know.

[/ QUOTE ]

He gave away our Canal. and pardoned Richard Nixon, oh wait Ford pardoned Nixon. Ok he gave away our canal and took us off the Gold standard.. wait Nixon took us off the Gold standard, He gave away our canal and authorized trading Guns with the Contras for.. wait that was Reagan get confused a little help here.

[ QUOTE ]
So I step on the airplane and put my bag away and low and behold, Jimmy Carter shakes me hand and tells me good morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Everybody knows I'm a conservative by now ... and as such, it probably wouldn't be surprising that I didn't think much of Carter's presidency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm a moderate, and when it comes to Jimmy Carter, I think "good man, bad President."

Of course, I think the same thing when I think of George Bush Sr., and Reagan.

And then when it comes to Clinton, I think "bad man, good President."

Kind of sucks, huh?

For the record, I was a small child during the Carter administration. That does not make me unqualified to discuss it. I can read, learn, and understand things that happened before I was an adult (or even before I was alive). If one used that logic, nobody could ever understand American history because there's nobody left who was alive during it!

I did not condemn Carter as "bad President" simply because of the letter which appears after his name. John F. Kennedy had a "D" after his name and I believe he was a pretty darn good President. Gerald Ford had an "R" after his name, and didn't do anything particularly noteworthy. I haven't accused you folks of being robotic, non-thinking automatons, and I expect the same level of respect and consideration and return.

Happy Thanksgiving to all ...

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
We had a bunch of guys in black suits and earphones in their ear this morning

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! You flew with the MiB! Cool!
grin.gif

Seriously, I agree with FL270 that Carter wasn't the most successful president, but he is one of the most successful ex-presidents. Even if I disagree with a lot of his political statements, I think that he is decent and respectable man.

I've never met him, but I did meet his mother on a trip to Plains, GA while he was president.

One of my friends flew the former President George Bush in a corp jet, and when they did all log books, aircraft maintenance, etc had to be presented and were reviewed by the secret service, as well as back ground checks on the pilots, their AMT, etc. It sounded like quite a tense ordeal to take the former president to a gold course for a round of golf with the boss.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow! You flew with the MiB! Cool!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ask me Doug looks an awful like Will Smith - we even had a couple pictures up on the forum where they look like brothers!

Was staying in a hotel in Naples a couple of years ago. When I stepped on the elevator the first thing I see is a pair of *those* black shoes. Black suit. Earphone with the cord disappearing under the collar.

Turns out George H.W. was staying there for a couple of days.

Kinda made moving around and in/out of the hotel a pain in the keister, and going to the beach when he and the missus were there was off the schedule. Just 'cause we didn't want to bother with the hassles, not 'cause they wouldn't let us.

Back to the other guy: Didn't vote for J.C. (and yeah, I was old enough!), but I sure appreciate everything he's done and everything he stands for since then.

I was at a hospital in Atlanta for my brother-in-law's kidney transplant a couple of years ago on the same day that Dubya was making a speech there. We saw the motorcade pull up right below his window, but that was as close as we could get.

I saw Reagan at a senator's campaign rally in high school. My high school band was featured entertainment. The senator didn't get re-elected. I don't think it was our fault though.
tongue.gif

I saw Clintons motorcade many years ago in Aylesbury England. Infact I believe the police were right behind us. Clinton was on his way to Checkers to meet with John Major. We also drive by the estate and saw lots of helicopters.

Back in '99 my mom was taking me to an orthodontist appointment and we were driving down Airport Road which runs right along PVD when I saw a larger than usual plane, which turned out to be a VC-25 (Air Force One) that had just landed. Apparently Clinton was in town for a funeral. I didn't even think a 747 was capable of landing at PVD! We stopped and I was waiting by the fence, but nothing was happening, and I was already late for the orthodontist, so we left. Wish I had brought a camera, though!

Back