violations

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Doug, (anyone)

Here's a curious question. ATC, as part of the FAA, can file a flight violation on you if they see a violation of an FAR, etc etc.

With the proliferation of NFCTs, or Non Federal Control Towers, at smaller airports these days, is this any different? Towers like the ones at KGEU, KGYR, KFLG, etc are non-federal and are operated by private ATC companies such as Barton ATC. Can these non-federal towers that have "civilian" tower controllers violate you?

MikeD:

I believe I am best able to answer this question, as I am going to become an ATCer (for a little while at least).

Non-Federal Controllers (NFC) have the same powers as regular ATC folks. They simply draw their paychecks from a private company. That, I'm told, is their only difference.

I hope I've been helpful! Hope your summer is going well.

Have a good one!

Air Traffic Controllers cannot "file a violation against you." ATC really has no enforcement ability. What they (usually the tower chief) can do is file a pilot deviation report. These are forwarded to the FSDO and an ASI or POI determines what enforcement or certificate action may be taken--not the controller.

[ QUOTE ]
Air Traffic Controllers cannot "file a violation against you." ATC really has no enforcement ability. What they (usually the tower chief) can do is file a pilot deviation report. These are forwarded to the FSDO and an ASI or POI determines what enforcement or certificate action may be taken--not the controller.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I meant, just didn't word it that way. And I assume that any ATCer, FAA or private, can do this very same thing.

Back