Utah Flight Schools/Instructors/Help

Parasite

Hello JC!

I'm hoping I could get some insight on pursuing my ratings here in Utah. Can anyone recommend me a flight school maybe perhaps even a good instructor? I live in the Ogden area and the only flight school in my area appears to be Cornerstone aviation, however, commuting to SLC isn't completely out of the question (although, might be hard to fit into my schedule as I work graveyard and also attend college).

I know that 2-3 weeks seems to be the consenus on how many lessons to take a week. It's unclear how long these lessons should be though. On my short stint of taking lessons back in high school they were an hour, but, I was also broke back then. As of now, I already have the cash to pay for my PPL in full and start my instrument (of course, I'm going to pay as I go though, so by the time I finish my PPL I'll have the full amount to get my insstrument rating too). Advice please?

Also, how difficult is it to get a job as a CFI in Utah or am I pretty much going to be forced to move out of state to pursue a career in aviation? There doesn't seem to be very much here.

Thanks!

I don't know much about Utah flight schools in particular, but I can maybe help on your other questions. If you have the money for the rating then 2-3 times a week is great. Just make sure you are keeping up with your studying ground material as you do your flights. If you can't do that then skip a flight and study.

With my students, I like 3 hour blocks for the first few lessons until they can preflight competently and then at least 2 -2.5 hour blocks after that. This gives us 30 min to an hour on the ground to talk about the current material and then about 1.5 in the air. I also live in th DC area, so we have some airspace issues to deal with that take up a little more time, but it should still hold true.

As for moving; With aviation you need to be willing to move to your work. This includes the CFI position. Find the best school you can get into to teach at. This will keep you busy, surround you with the right people and possibly keep you from being too broke (the last one is sometimes wishful thinking)

I've seen alot of people waste the time they spent getting their ratings by not flying because they aren't willing to move. The jobs are out there you just have to look and the larger area you can look in the better off you will be. Plus this is part of the fun in aviation anyways. You get to see the world, one FBO at a time.

I didn't do any training with them, but I've flown one of Cornerstone's airplanes and would recommend them. There's also G&B Aviation at Skypark in Woods Cross. I wouldn't recommend flying out of KSLC for a primary student, too much time ($$$) wasted getting in and out of there on every flight.

Leading Edge in Logan. Maybe its too far, but there is an excellent instuructor there. He got me through most of my training and I would recomend him to anyone.

Leading Edge has locations in Ogden, Logan, and Salt Lake. I know that they have really nice aircraft, and I've heard good reports on their instructors. Found their website:
www.leaviation.com
It will cost a little more to learn to fly out of Salt Lake International, but everyone I have talked to appreciated the experience of learning to fly at a class B airport. Talked to an instructor that flew at another airport who said that many of the instructors at his flight school, let alone students, are intimidated by the Class B and avoid it altogether.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I just joined this forum, and don't know if they have personal messaging. My advice: do your research. I know instructors at a lot of flight schools in the area. One school had an off-airport landing over the weekend, another is bouncing its employees checks. So do your due diligence and choose carefully.

The one bouncing paychecks, National Pilot Academy, has finally shut its doors. Word on the street is that the DA in Utah indicted the Faddis brothers, Cole and Jared Faddis of Cedar City Utah and their troop, Robert Tripp and Troy Wadsworth for misappropriation of funds. (No big surprise with dozens of students wondering what happened to hundreds of thousands of dollars of non-refunded tuition.)

I wonder how long it will take Skywest to begin questioning the way the school held out the name David Faddis of Skywest as a "sure hire" inside connection.

Rest In Pieces, NPA.
Good riddance.

Wow, that wasn't even the flight school I was referring to. But I did hear about a helicopter school that took everyone's money and closed there doors too. Big bummer for those students...

Wow, that wasn't even the flight school I was referring to...

Another great reason to keep those eyes peeled and do thorough research before getting involved with a training contract.:buck: Too many people out there with dollar signs in their eyes looking to take advantage of students.

The one bouncing paychecks, National Pilot Academy, has finally shut its doors. Word on the street is that the DA in Utah indicted the Faddis brothers, Cole and Jared Faddis of Cedar City Utah and their troop, Robert Tripp and Troy Wadsworth for misappropriation of funds. (No big surprise with dozens of students wondering what happened to hundreds of thousands of dollars of non-refunded tuition.)

I wonder how long it will take Skywest to begin questioning the way the school held out the name David Faddis of Skywest as a "sure hire" inside connection.

Rest In Pieces, NPA.
Good riddance.

Wow its about time glad to hear it.

Back