USO in PHL

HVYMETALDRVR

Showed up at the USO in my uniform (pilot) to take a quick nap in between flights at PHL... I was told uniformed airport employees were not allowed... I'm an active Army reservist. This ever happen to anyone else? Granted I was already having a bad day...

Yep. It's a crap shoot.
Some have let me catch a nap. Depends who is working the door really.

I think I would flip ass. Military is military and you should not be denied just because of how you dress!

I think I would flip ass. Military is military and you should not be denied just because of how you dress!

Well, in all fairness, they're volunteers. It's not really an entitlement to military people... just a non-profit organization (but Gov't chartered) trying to do good. And they are pretty awesome in some of the bigger airports. I'd probably just change into gym clothes or something for the free meal and rest.

Yeah it wasn't long enough to change. All of the other ones I've been to have been great. I just didn't expect to be on the receiving end of a power trip at the USO. I rarely take snacks anyway I just wanted a nap somewhere better than the crewroom...

Showed up at the USO in my uniform (pilot) to take a quick nap in between flights at PHL... I was told uniformed airport employees were not allowed... I'm an active Army reservist. This ever happen to anyone else? Granted I was already having a bad day...

Same experience, I was able to talk them into letting me in to change. I've heard the same will happen at LAX if you show up in uniform.

Anyone ever tried to use a USO as a veteran in civvies? (I thought about it when my wife and I had a 10 hour layover in PHL waiting for a flight to England...I guess the only proof would be my now expired CAC card.

Anyone ever tried to use a USO as a veteran in civvies? (I thought about it when my wife and I had a 10 hour layover in PHL waiting for a flight to England...I guess the only proof would be my now expired CAC card.

Yeah its pretty much on the honor system.

As far as they're concerned, It's all about appearances to the public. If you're dressed like an airline pilot, you don't look like you're in the military. If you just wore civilian clothes, nobody would second guess you. It's often hard to explain to people that 'Yes, I work for an airline' and 'Yes, I'm in the military also'.

You probably can't go into a bar and drink in an airline uniform either, for the same reason (even if you're not operating a flight). It creates a certain impression on others.

Back