USN F-18 reported hypersonic aircraft

A family friend, a highly decorated RAF pilot, had two sightings in the 50's that were well investigated and documented. The sightings were classified until 2001.

From what I've read about the Skunkworks a large portion of Kelly Johnsons success was attributable to his management style, he was a hard ass taskmaster that somehow also gave his people enough freedom and confidence to do their best work. Since the whole operation was in one building the people building the airplanes and the people designing and engineering them would frequently interact when an issue arose. For a lot of reasons I doubt that duplicating what the Skunkworks was back then would be possible today. I can remember as a little kid seeing that building with the cartoon of a skunk on one side and my dad, who was an enthusiast, telling me about what had been built there and what might be going on at the time. I'm still a bit offended they tore the whole place down, what a waste of history.

In the defense of tearing the place down, it was full of poisonous chemicals and things like that that were just leaking into the ground and into the water table beneath it.

My dad made a fortune over the years on that place, and others like it, cleaning it all up.

Back