using reverse sensing in holds

spandey

I flew with a friend the other day and he showed me something very interesting. We were practising holding over a VOR. In my IFR training I have been taught that, once you turn outbound you triple the WCA on inbound and time for a minute. However, to get a more accurate sense of your position from the VOR this guy suggested that I make use of reverse sensing? I tried this but it tends to be confusing. Any comments?

i do not know how using reverse sensing would make any difference in detrmining your position, or having a better mental image of it. if you figure it out let me know.

The argument goes: you would be able to figure out exactly where you are in relation to the fix. Positional awareness etc. As opposed to just timing outbound, haveing a rough idea and only knowing for sure when you turn back inbound to capture the course.

Still not follwing the logic here. Reverse sensing is no more or less accurate than a normal set up. Plus if you are outbound on the radial, the obs is set to that radial, you are only getting one LOB< you would still need another or a dme to fix the position.

What am I missing?

I busted a checkride trying that reverse sensing reciprocal crap. Use the inbound radial its much easier and time the legs, that is the best way to do it.

spandey said:
The argument goes: you would be able to figure out exactly where you are in relation to the fix. Positional awareness etc. As opposed to just timing outbound, haveing a rough idea and only knowing for sure when you turn back inbound to capture the course.
The reason why you need to use the wind correction and not this reverse sensing trick is that your position at the beginning of that turn back to the holding radial needs to vary based on the winds. Your turn still has to be standard rate back to the radial and as we all know, the wind will distort the shape of that turn and thus where the starting point needs to be. Navigating to a fixed position via reverse sensing, GPS, whatever, only works in a no-wind situation, which is almost never.

aloft said:
The reason why you need to use the wind correction...
The person you're replying to hasn't logged on in nearly three years. That's the problem with bumping these zombie threads.

Back