USAirways insanity

I only once ever considered denying the jumpseat to someone. He was an Eastern scab on "the list," but was then employed by the FAA as a safety inspector. Needless to say, both the union and management weren't to keen on my plan as denying the FAA drops you in the middle of a humongous minefield.

I do not see that you really had a choice in this instance.

Making the world - it is a large world - a better place. . .nah, don't think that has anything to do with denying the Easties a jumpseat.

Now, making the airline profession a better place. . .well. . .now that is debatable.

Denying a jumpseat is like gratuitous sex. It makes you feel good for a bit but it has long term negative consequences. Like when your buddy is trying to catch a ride with the guy you just bumped....

Personally, I think using the jumpseat to push a personal agenda is a bad idea.

And that's the beauty. . .each individual Captain has their own way of running their ship (and their jumpseat). So be it.

Lest we want to make attempts to put other items up for debate regarding PIC authority, and Captain's discretion.

Well, if the jumpseat or O2 mask is written up at an outstation you have no choice but to MCO it til you get to a station with MX.

Don't forget if you don't have enough O2 for all three of ya'll.

It's horrible when that happens.

Again...please explain how

Don't expect a valid response...a few involved in this thread seriously feel that if you're not ALPA, you shouldn't have many rights. (Though one of these guys isn't even an ALPA member, by choice keep in mind). Don't get too worked up about it...if whether or not you're a member of ALPA or an ALPA supporter is the most important thing in their life, so be it. To each his own.

Again...please explain how

Explain that it is a subject that is debatable?

How is the subject NOT debatable? Obviously we're sitting here on our nice little plastic computers debating the merits of such.

Don't expect a valid response...a few involved in this thread seriously feel that if you're not ALPA, you shouldn't have many rights. (Though one of these guys isn't even an ALPA member, by choice keep in mind). Don't get too worked up about it...if whether or not you're a member of ALPA or an ALPA supporter is the most important thing in their life, so be it. To each his own.

How exactly does the observation that the merits of denying a jumpseat remotely have to do with having ALPA as your bargaining agent?

Or are you just quoting him for fun, just to reply with some vague comment towards those who are, or were at one time members of ALPA? Or, was it because you disagree that the merits of denying a jumpseat are not debatable, and that in fact they are extremely easy to decide when, where, if, why, and how a free ride is given?

Sorry for my confusion, but I'm not too sure why either of you would think that it wouldn't be a subject that could be debated - for or against.

Back