USAirways: East Perspective

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
It's about expectations
3 comments Nov. 9, 2008 12:00 AM

The Arizona Republic
Bill Turbett has heard the chatter from his counterparts at the former America West more than a few times.

America West saved US Airways. Without the Tempe airline, the old US Airways would have liquidated.

He usually points to comments by Doug Parker, the America West CEO who became CEO of the new US Airways. Parker, he tells them, said America West was on financially shaky ground and at risk of bankruptcy without the merger.

He also takes offense with comments that sickly US Airways came to the table with nothing to offer.

"There was always something valuable there," he said, pointing to US Airways Shuttle and landing rights and gates in New York.

Turbett isn't trying to stir the pot but rather to point out that both sides brought something to the merger, and that should be recognized in the seniority system they adopt.

The 46-year-old pilot, who joined US Airways in Philadelphia in 1999, says that he saw injustices in the arbitrated seniority list the second it came out.

Even though he was on furlough for three years at the time of the merger, he doesn't think he should be bidding for flights below America West pilots because they came into the merged airline with different "career expectations" given that airline's smaller size and route structure.

"They never had any expectation of flying Philadelphia to Milan or any of these European destinations that we serve," he said. "They didn't fly A330s or Boeing 767s."

Under the arbitrated list, they could conceivably get promoted to fly such routes before him.

"That's where I found the rub," he said.

Turbett, who was recalled as a Boeing 737 first officer by the new US Airways last year, said that he thinks the seniority system proposed by the new union is the perfect compromise because it is based on date of hire but has protections for America West pilots.

"We're not going to do their flying, and they're not going to come over here and do our flying," he said.

"You're basically coming to the dance with the girl you brought."

When does he see the situation getting resolved?

"I think when the company's really serious and wants it done, it'll get done," he said.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off topic here Joe, but saw you where on facebook and had a question concerning that.

How the heck did you get such a hot wife?

:)

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off topic here Joe, but saw you where on facebook and had a question concerning that.

How the heck did you get such a hot wife?

She asked if I was a pilot. LOL. The funniest part is, I think she may lurk on here some, and I know she lurks on Jetgirls or whatever Kristie's site is.

Why, you calling me ugly?

Didn't think you would have the game to seal the deal...

We'll have to discuss that one over lots of beers. Needless to say, she and I have been happily married for 6 years now, and will be celebrating our 7th in July!! Hopefully, she and the kids will be joining me overseas for some fun travel after they are born and healthy.:bandit:

HAHHAHAH yeah man, congrats on the kiddies that are on the way. Twins right?

Back