USAF Pilot Physical Requirements?

In UPT now...

we took the FACT on Day 3 of Phase 1....the guys that went T-38s took it again at the start of Phase 3...those of us that went T-1s didnt have to take it again.

Just took my annual flight physical yesterday. Man, at 29 that eye chart wasn't quite as easy to read as it was last year

Just took my annual flight physical yesterday. Man, at 29 that eye chart wasn't quite as easy to read as it was last year

Hell, try the hearing test as I came up on 39 with 14 years flying turbo-props! There are apparently beeps in the high freq range :eek: I just kept pressing the button then got spoken to for doing it.

Though this FACT thing has nothing to do with the original question, it sounds like a test that all UPT guys have to do. Nothing like it for primary flight training and nothing like it when I flew T-2C's. We pulled up to 6.5g's on many occasion and never did anything like it. I'm going to be an IP in Kingsville next year and I'll see if there is something like it in T-45's. I'm kind of a bid dude anyway so I've never had problems with the g thing but I'm getting old now so it may not be so true anymore :eek:

Not only that but it was only recently when they started making T-45 studs do the 'fuge before winging. This syllabus will take you right up to 7.3 G's (structural limit) in ACM, which previously was without any prior training or g conditioning. Maybe AF g's feel different :p

Not only that but it was only recently when they started making T-45 studs do the 'fuge before winging. This syllabus will take you right up to 7.3 G's (structural limit) in ACM, which previously was without any prior training or g conditioning. Maybe AF g's feel different :p

I can't speak for the -38, but there was no maneuver we did in T-6 (Phase 2) that required more than about 4Gs. I doubt I ever pulled more than 5 or 5.5 (just for the hell of it). Plus we were wearing a G suit. Wasn't GLOC one of the reasons they phased out the -37?

Wasn't GLOC one of the reasons they phased out the -37?

I have no idea about that, but it is interesting that you mention that. Navy-wide, our highest incidence of GLOC has been from the primary guys flying T-34C's. Combination of no g-suit, no g tolerance, and very little experience pulling G's. I would guess the same may have been true for the Tweet as well.

I can't speak for the -38, but there was no maneuver we did in T-6 (Phase 2) that required more than about 4Gs. I doubt I ever pulled more than 5 or 5.5 (just for the hell of it). Plus we were wearing a G suit. Wasn't GLOC one of the reasons they phased out the -37?

Loop for a -38 IIRC was 5g pull with a 500 kt entry.

I have no idea about that, but it is interesting that you mention that. Navy-wide, our highest incidence of GLOC has been from the primary guys flying T-34C's. Combination of no g-suit, no g tolerance, and very little experience pulling G's. I would guess the same may have been true for the Tweet as well.

Yeah, the yearly CRM brief shows the majority of GLOC incidents occur in the little mentor. Max g is only 4.5 but it can wear on you if you do enough flights in a day. In the FITU, we would go up and do two C45XX flights a day, multiple loops, 1/2 cuban 8's, Split S and Immelman's. Usually pulled about 4g's which in reality is just not a lot. But given the heat of the summer, the horrible a/c in the 34, no g-suit, etc...it got to you. I'm 6' 215-220 depending on the beers I had that weekend :D and have never had an issue with g's but damn was I wore out at the end of the day on those hops. I thought I was just cock weak but a few of the Hornet bubba's felt the same way, just worn down with mulitple 4g pulls.

Now I've had studs say they greyed out in a loop at 4g's, just not used to it. Have to come home then. Also, a few guys have pulled a bit more...such as the crew that pulled 7g's to avoid a cloud back in 07 :pirate: Hopefully I shouldn't have a problem in the T-45C next year. Never had an issue in the multiple 5-6g evnironment of the T-2C but again, I was young.

I hear that; 2 a day was common in the T-34 aerobatic/PA stage, and S. TX was damn hot.

G's in the T-45 have not been an issue for me, and the G suit helps a lot. Not sure if the O2 helps out at all, but maybe. I did start to grey once coming into NGP with Kmac at the controls doing a short break, but I think that was cause I doing something and wasn't prepped for the G's.

I. Wasn't GLOC one of the reasons they phased out the -37?

Not really. Though the Tweet had the fastest G-onset rate of many aircraft, the primary reason it was retired was its age. The Tweets I flew in UPT were 1956 - 1960 models, and as compared to other aircraft in the inventory that are that old (KC-135, for example), the Tweets had far more sorties/landing cycles on them in general. Just an aging aircraft and not very modern, but fun as hell to fly and cool old school.

I hear that; 2 a day was common in the T-34 aerobatic/PA stage, and S. TX was damn hot.

G's in the T-45 have not been an issue for me, and the G suit helps a lot. Not sure if the O2 helps out at all, but maybe. I did start to grey once coming into NGP with Kmac at the controls doing a short break, but I think that was cause I doing something and wasn't prepped for the G's.

Oh, don't let it out that Kmac almost put you out!! He's half chick :)

6.5 was the most we ever did in the T-6...in the T-1 so far I have made it to about 1.8 haha

6.5 was the most we ever did in the T-6...in the T-1 so far I have made it to about 1.8 haha

I don't remember the exact number, but that has to be close to the limit. And the T-6 isn't like the tweet; the FDR will tell on ya! :D

Back