USAF Navs or USN/USMC NFOs

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Those who are rated as such, am curious. Did any of you ever apply to get the FAA Flight Navigator certificate? If even for just nostalgia purposes? It's still there and described, along with FEs in 14 CFR 63

One of the regulars here was a USN Nav on P3s (I think). I flew a trip with him and for the life of me I can't remember if he had the certificate or not...

Hopefully he'll pop up and answer for you.

One of the regulars here was a USN Nav on P3s (I think). I flew a trip with him and for the life of me I can't remember if he had the certificate or not...

Hopefully he'll pop up and answer for you.

I wish I had it but I don't. I looked into it though, as I thought it would be a good thing for a job interview.

The only real rated USAF NAVs or NFO types that would qualify would be the cell nav types. You have to do a skills test that involves shooting celestial LOPs. I used to do one every flight in the Navy, but there was no military competency route like pilots have. Kinda like there is no mechanic competency for A&Ps...

I don't even know where you could do a practical test, although I saw some guy wanted to start a nav school using a beech 18 as a cell platform.

The FARs do describe "flight crewmember" (Pilot, Nav, FE)as differentiated between Crewmember which could allow you to add that time to a flight crewmember column... It is pretty much an obsolete certificate in the eyes of the FAA.

Mike,
One other comment. Necessity is the so called mother of invention. The need to guide a missile carrying a nuke, brought about the INS which killed the navigator. Computers killed off the FE... UAVs and the spin off tech may end up taking out pilots (at least as we know them) out of the picture.

Perhaps it is a good idea, to log that uav time in a separate column...:(

Back