USAF Commitment

skydog

I just read that the USAF service commitment after pilot training is 12 years. Can anyone confirm?

10 years after winging. Based on the wait to start training, plus the 53 weeks of training, it generally works out to 12 years of total time.

When I was in the Navy it was 6 yrs for both pilots and NFOs. I am glad to see that is creeping north.

In Spain the commitment is basically 40 yrs, and if you want to get out earlier, you or your employer must pay for the cost of training.

I think that should be done in the US as well.

When I was in the Navy it was 6 yrs for both pilots and NFOs. I am glad to see that is creeping north.

In Spain the commitment is basically 40 yrs, and if you want to get out earlier, you or your employer must pay for the cost of training.

I think that should be done in the US as well.

40 years?!!! What are you going to do with a bunch of 20 year 0-5s that hate their jobs?

40 years?!!! What are you going to do with a bunch of 20 year 0-5s that hate their jobs?

You bring up a valid point. It would take a major systemic change. 40 yrs seems a little long for me. I think 20 outta do it.

The country I was talking about, a person out of the academy would be looking at retirement at about 55 I think, and would spend a whole lot of time at the o-3 level. The major point is that getting the proverbial "million dollar flight education", means you are expected to be a "lifer".

If it were up to me, they would overwhelmingly be a bunch of CWO-4/5s who flew for 20 years.

You bring up a valid point. It would take a major systemic change. 40 yrs seems a little long for me. I think 20 outta do it.

The country I was talking about, a person out of the academy would be looking at retirement at about 55 I think, and would spend a whole lot of time at the o-3 level. The major point is that getting the proverbial "million dollar flight education", means you are expected to be a "lifer".

If it were up to me, they would overwhelmingly be a bunch of CWO-4/5s who flew for 20 years.
Maybe it's just me, but I think wearing chicken plate when it's 130 degrees F in an un-airconditioned cockpit, flying for 8 hours a day, away from your family for a year or more at a stretch, with some idiot trying to kill you is more than enough "pay back" for that "million dollar flight education." Doing that to the age of 55???? I don't think so. It was hard enough doing it in my 40's.

Is the Spanish military doing that in Iraq? Nope.

Seen a lot of aerial combat in Iraq? Nope.

They left some on the ground dead in Iraq. Before presidente zapatero. Their president now is an accidental president, and an embarassment to most.

Just making a point. No reason to bag on our allies. The military dont get to pick the CIC, just like us.

Commitments for wings have been creeping up the last few years. If you disagree with me and my prescriptions, or their system, fine. Please don't dis' our friends.

Just making a point. No reason to bag on our allies. The military dont get to pick the CIC, just like us.

That wasn't my point at all. The point was to de-tangle two completely separate issues that had been mashed together.

The first post discussed the 40-year commitment that aviators in Spain have.

The second part mixed in a description of the CAFTT flying that US forces are doing in Iraq.

I was pointing out that the two ideas had nothing to do with one another.

That wasn't my point at all. The point was to de-tangle two completely separate issues that had been mashed together.

The second part mixed in a description of the CAFTT flying that US forces are doing in Iraq.

My point was to dispell the notion that military training in any country is a boondoggle. Million dollar flight training is not "free" for the individual receiving it. Personally, I think a 12 year commitment is more than enough pay back for any individual in peace or war.
The second half of the equation is that it is in the best interest of a nation to have a pool of trained pilots to draw from. It take years to train a pilot- flight school is not even half of it. With a commitment for life in exchange for flight training a nation will probably only have just enough pilots to meet its current needs. If there is any kind of spike in the need for trained pilots, there are none to draw from- unless you want to call back 55+ year old pilots. Trust me, combat flying takes its toll on older pilots more than younger pilots. With a 12 year commitment you have a pool of trained pilots outside the military to draw from. Yes, they would need to be trained up to speed, but the cost and time involved in this as compaired to training a new pilot is very small.

My bad, apologies... I think i missed a post somewhere.

Back