USA JET Airlines

Atc89

ATC89
Does anyone know anything about USA Jet Airlines? I just got passed my O&P to get my dispatch certificate not too long ago and have been applying at some different openings I've seen, one of which was USA Jet. They just requested some more information from me and they seem like they're interested in me. I've read some mixed reviews on the airline, but just wanted to get some more input on working as a dispatcher there. It's tough to find a dispatch job right now with no experience, so this may be a promising opportunity if they aren't a horrible company to work for.

How many positions are they advertising if you don't mind me asking? I've looked into them before as a job to have an income again while moving forward in life.

121 Supplemental if you didn't know/figure it out already.

One of their dispatchers left USAJet a few years ago and helped to start the MIAT (Michigan Institute of Aviation Tech) dispatch program and she also set up something at Eastern Mich. University in the "CF" aviation school they have. Really nice lady and a few shared stories.

Based on their business model (contact signed to aircraft airborne w/in 45 minutes) they have to have a very automated process of flight planning, similar to a company that would have a desk generate 100+ flight plans. Not sure what program it actually is. Lots of flying at night. I've seen flights go as far west as SEA with a lot of flying to Mexico and Canada. I think they also have a passenger MD-80 that flies sports teams and such.

Never seen their actual office at YIP but they seem to own the northeast side of the airport; so I assume its pretty nice.

How many positions are they advertising if you don't mind me asking? I've looked into them before as a job to have an income again while moving forward in life.

121 Supplemental if you didn't know/figure it out already.

One of their dispatchers left USAJet a few years ago and helped to start the MIAT (Michigan Institute of Aviation Tech) dispatch program and she also set up something at Eastern Mich. University in the "CF" aviation school they have. Really nice lady and a few shared stories.

Based on their business model (contact signed to aircraft airborne w/in 45 minutes) they have to have a very automated process of flight planning, similar to a company that would have a desk generate 100+ flight plans. Not sure what program it actually is. Lots of flying at night. I've seen flights go as far west as SEA with a lot of flying to Mexico and Canada. I think they also have a passenger MD-80 that flies sports teams and such.

Never seen their actual office at YIP but they seem to own the northeast side of the airport; so I assume its pretty nice.

Hey, thanks for the reply... I really appreciate your help. I have never really been around that part of Michigan, nor have I ever seen YIP (I'm from Ohio). Is it a pretty descent area?

As for your question, they had an opening listed on indeed.com a little over a week ago, but it did not mention how many dispatchers they were looking for. I tried to find the posting a few days ago and they have already removed it. I got a call from them on Thursday and they want to set up a phone interview for this week. Hopefully it goes well!

Same here from Ohio but I live about 50 minutes from YIP.

Yeah its not a bad area but if I get on with one of the three 121s @ YIP, I'd drive it.

I worked there as a pilot up to about a year ago... I don't know too much about the dispatch side of things, but in the same way working at Southern Air for me gave me a huge advantage of seeing all levels of the aviation business and solving problems in so many different areas - USA Jet does the same thing. (and I noticed the same thing as a pilot there too... you get a lot of well rounded experience) Rather than working a desk at a bigger company where you can pass the buck up to a manger or something, you are IT during your shift - esp. in the middle of the night. You solve the problem, or it doesn't get solved.

It's a good group of people, I got along with everyone on the dispatch/flight following side of things. The insurance was also pretty good. (last year, don't know if it changed) And it is very, very cheap to live in YIP these days. (you could buy a condo in my old crashpad complex for $8000-$15,000 - less then 15 min from the airport in Belleville) I don't know anything about the pay... or how the shifts work... or anything like that. (Unless it's for a pilot gig... then I know that very well)

If you want a random vote of a random stranger on the internet... go for it. It's a good company that seems to hold on even when the economy is not doing very well in other sectors. Their core business (auto freight) always seems to move.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm a new member to jet careers, but what a great resource for those of us who love aviation. I've been in college the last several years, learning about all different areas of the industry and all I can say is that I'm very excited to finally become a part of it.

Back