US Looking to Reduce or Eliminate E190s

N826AW

Off-Duty Cop
I caught a little bit of the earnings call where Parker and Kirby admitted they are shopping their E190 fleet as a way to reduce capacity. Here's an article on it:

US Airways considers cutting its E-190 fleet
By Lori Ranson

Management at US Airways has launched an evaluation of elimination its fleet of 25 Embraer E-190s through direct sales or subleases.

Today during an earnings call with analysts and investors carrier President Scott Kirby said the fleet represents roughly 2.5% of total consolidated capacity at US Airways, and cutting the fleet would give the carrier additional flexibility to reduce its available seat miles.

Kirby also explains the E-Jet represent a small sub-fleet whose elimination could also create operational gains for the carrier. The aircraft are also in demand globally, so US Airways believes getting rid of the E-Jets is something the carrier "can effectively implement from a financial perspective", says Kirby.

US Airways owns the 25 aircraft, and company chief executive Doug Parker stresses the potential cutting of E-Jets from its fleet is not to raise liquidity, but to enhance long-term profitability.

In August 2005 US Airways issued a request for proposal to regional partners Air Wisconsin, Mesa Air Group and Republic Airways Holdings to operate up to 25 E-190s once it merged with America West.

But after mainline pilot protests a transition deal was ratified by America West and US Airways pilots to limit E-190 flying to mainline operations.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/07/23/330101/us-airways-considers-cutting-its-e-190-fleet.html

Maybe this is how they're going to raise the cash needed for the Dash 8 300s they want to buy in Austria. :sarcasm:

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Republic ends up with them in Midex colors flying out of a new base somewhere on the east coast.

Hubs in say, BWI, MKE and DEN.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Republic ends up with them in Midex colors flying out of a new base somewhere on the east coast.

Hubs in say, BWI, MKE and DEN.

:yup: I got a feelin' something along those lines will transpire, as well.

Back