US Airways 1267 Returns to PHL "Terrorist Threat" (HOAX)

melax

I hope that The Federal judge will throw the book at those idiots !! I can't believe that people can be that stupid !
It's got to be a better way than just reacting and diverting flights because of a call, I'm no expert and do not have the solution but it seems too easy to disrupt the operations of airlines today.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...adelphia-Due-to-Security-Issue-168753036.html

2 Being Questioned in Philly Int'l Hoax

Security issue involving US Airways flight at Philadelphia International Airport.

NBC10 Philadelphia
A man is removed from a US Airways flight in handcuffs after police respond to investigate a security issue.

Two people, a male and female, are in custody in Philadelphia and are being questioned about the hoax behind a security scare involving a US Airways flight en route to Dallas-Fort Worth, sources told NBC10.
Those sources also told NBC10 the hoax, which Philadelaphia Police called "a pretty nasty trick" was motivated by revenge involving a romantic relationship.
Flight 1267 was turned around shortly after taking off from Philadelphia International Airport Thursday morning, because of an anonymous call to the Philadelphia Police Department, according to investigators.
FBI agents told NBC10 the caller was a man.
Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Joe Sullivan says the call was received at 7:30 a.m. and the caller claimed a man, whose name was given, would attempt to get on a plane to Texas with a dangerous substance.
It was determined the man named by the caller was on Flight 1267 whick took-off at 8:06 a.m. A decision was made by the Philadelphia Police, the FBI and US Airways to turn the plane around and it was given instructions to do so at 8:22 a.m.
NBC10 crews have been told that a man named Christopher Shell, was removed from the airplane in handcuffs, and is the victim of the hoax. Today is Shell's 29th birthday.
"He was obviously very alarmed as I would be if heavily armed police officers entered a plane to take me off, he was certainly stunned. That is why this is no joke, this is no laughing matter," said Sullivan.
christopher_shell1.jpg

Shell's Facebook page includes a post from him saying, "I'm pretty disappointed in US Airways currently. We just spent a half hour in the air to be notified that the plane, "has technical difficulties" and had to fly back! Flight 1267 CANCELED."
Sullivan says the man removed from the plane, who other sources have told NBC10 is Shell, committed no crime and is not being charged with any crime.
Sullivan added the person or people behind the prank will face several, serious charges.
Sixty-nine passengers and five crew members were on the plane.
Buses transported the passengers away from the plane, an Airbus A319.
The Transportation Security Administration released the followed statement:
"US Airways flight 1267 from Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) to Dallas Fort-Worth International Airport, returned to PHL this morning due to a report of a suspicious item on board. The flight landed safely at approximately 8:40 a.m., Eastern time and out of abundance of caution, was taken to remote area of the airport. Law enforcement representatives, including the FBI, have met the flight."
The plane landed at the old international terminal which was away from active runways and terminals.
US Airways says the cost of today's hoax will be "upwards of tens of thousands of dollars in direct and indirect costs."
It points out that jet fuel is today running at $3.25 a gallon - so the cost of wasting any of it for a returned flight gets expensive.
Add in the potential cost for airport fees, rebookings, the ripple effect of other flights affected...and it gets very expensive.
It will be some time before it knows the exact total tab.
But the airline says the biggest cost is the disruption to the passengers who were affected. Many could be late to business meetings, personal appointments, missed flights, whatever.
One US Airways exec tells NBC NEWS:
"People need to realize this isn't a game, it is serious and the feds (and we) take it seriously."
Hypothethically, the culprit could face criminal charges, and potentially civil action by the airline.
Philadelphia International Airport remained open during the incident.

Did they actually think they wouldn't get caught? This is probably the stupidest prank in recent history. Mr. Shell, its time you find some new friends. Happy birthday.

If you pick up your telephone, it's traceable. Anything electronic including the mere instance that you walked to the mailbox and back with your cellphone in your pocket is traceable and trackable.

Why people try this stuff, no idea.

Shell's Facebook page includes a post from him saying, "I'm pretty disappointed in US Airways currently. We just spent a half hour in the air to be notified that the plane, "has technical difficulties" and had to fly back! Flight 1267 CANCELED."
No laughing matter yet hilarious.
Picture 1.png

Question for the lawyers out there, can the passengers sue the culprits for any of their losses, emotional distress :cry: etc... ? It would be cool to see 69 lawsuits :D against these dirt bags :fury: .

An Airbus with 70 people on it? Looks like we can finally nonrev again!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

The story is full of twists... This guy gets arrested (again) upon finally reaching his destination...

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-Outstanding-Warrant-in-Dallas-168852536.html

Hoax Victim Arrested for Outstanding Warrant in Texas

After arriving in Dallas, sources say he was arrested by airport police for an outstanding warrant in the state
By Lauren DiSanto

| Thursday, Sep 6, 2012 | Updated 10:57 PM EDT

shell-dallas-arrest-picture.gif

NBC Exclusive
After arriving in Dallas at 6:10 CDT Thursday evening, Christopher Shell was taken away in handcuffs again. He was arrested by Dallas-Forth Worth airport police for multiple outstanding warrants for drug possession, according to airport authorities.
Christopher Shell was taken away in handcuffs twice on Thursday, which also happened to be his 29th birthday.
Early Thursday, he was removed from a U.S Airways flight after a hoax call that sources tell NBC10 was made by the current boyfriend of Shell's ex-girlfriend. On the call, police were told Shell was attempting to get on a plane with a dangerous substance.
Charges are expected to be filed against the caller, who has yet to be identified. Shell's ex-girlfriend was questioned by the FBI and released.
Shell eventually boarded the flight to Dallas for a second time later in the day. He was traveling to his hometown of Fort Worth to visit his family and celebrate his birthday, his sister told NBC10's Vince Lattanzio via Facebook.
After arriving in Dallas at 6:10 CDT Thursday evening, Shell was taken away in handcuffs again. He was arrested by Dallas-Forth Worth airport police on two outstanding warrants.
According to Collins County courts website, Shell failed to appear in court this past January following an arrest by the McKinney Police Department for drug possession in October of 2011.

An Airbus with 70 people on it? Looks like we can finally nonrev again!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Flew USAirways MCI-CLT & CLT-PWM yesterday (both 319's) and each were barely half to 2/3's full.

There a lot of people who didn't even pay attention to how many credit cards they have had and which ones they still owe money on. Heck, ask me how many email accounts I've had...pfffff I dunno.

This is the second dumb ass move of the week. The first one was the idiot that tweeted that he was going to harm the President. He now sits in the Mecklenburg County Jail. What is it with idiots and the internet?

Joe

Back