US airman dead in Su-27 crash in Ukraine

BigZ

Basically what the title says. Su-27UB "blue 70" crashed during training, two dead - one from Ukrainian AF and one from the US AF Guards sounds like.

Gov site posting has been edited to remove the US pilot reference since the news were posted.
Flight was conducted as a part of Clear Sky 2018 exercise

The ANG out of Fresno is taking part in that exercise with their F-15C Eagles.

Elsewhere. Colonel, commander of the Eastern sector air ops.

He was giving a fam flight to one of the 144th field-grade officer pilots. A popular guy from the Fresno Air Guard who had worked his way from an F-16 crew chief, to an F-16 and later F-15C pilot.

Pretty unique unit there in Fresno, one that has historically in its lineage, done only air-to-air (air defense) ops, not bomb droppers.

Most other ANG units have swapped between the two, or have changed missions altogether......going from fighters to transport aircraft, or other missions. The biggest one of those changes I can remember was the New York ANG in Newburgh/Stewart, swapping from Cessna O-2 Skymaster Forward Air Control aircraft, and trading them for Lockheed C-5 Galaxies, the first ANG unit to fly that aircraft. That must've been a heck of a transition....

He was giving a fam flight to one of the 144th field-grade officer pilots. A popular guy from the Fresno Air Guard who had worked his way from an F-16 crew chief, to an F-16 and later F-15C pilot.

Pretty unique unit there in Fresno, one that has historically in its lineage, done only air-to-air (air defense) ops, not bomb droppers.

Most other ANG units have swapped between the two, or have changed missions altogether......going from fighters to transport aircraft, or other missions. The biggest one of those changes I can remember was the New York ANG in Newburgh/Stewart, swapping from Cessna O-2 Skymaster Forward Air Control aircraft, and trading them for Lockheed C-5 Galaxies, the first ANG unit to fly that aircraft. That must've been a heck of a transition....
Yeah, Lt.Col, I saw that.
I hear those 15s gave uaf's su27 and mig29s a solid whipping in mock engagements. To be expected, most decent dudes left in 2014 plus the equipment hasn't been upgraded since the last century.

Back