UPT Slots

mdc92003

Pilot oppourtunities

I am applying for rated pilot boards this fall. If I earn a commission after OTS is UPT the only direction to go?? What other ways is there to become a pilot in the AF??

So I within the last week received my scores from AFOQT and TBAS

97 Pilot
73 Quantitative

98 PCSM

I feel that with those scores, my odds are much better. Anyone have any input on how those scores will put me in the overall picture?? Obviously the interview and the board will be a big factor but am I ahead of the game???

If you want to do the cool **** in your avatar, you are applying to the wrong flight school program.....:p

(I keed, I keed)

If you want to do the cool **** in your avatar, you are applying to the wrong flight school program.....:p

(I keed, I keed)

right right, i know that plane was Navy........but I hear to become a pilot, my best chance is OTS in the AF........or at least thru all my research.......

right right, i know that plane was Navy........but I hear to become a pilot, my best chance is OTS in the AF........or at least thru all my research.......

Yeah I'm just kidding, it all depends on what you want to do with your flying career.

Re: Pilot oppourtunities

I am applying for rated pilot boards this fall. If I earn a commission after OTS is UPT the only direction to go?? What other ways is there to become a pilot in the AF??...
[\QUOTE]
Well I can't help you with the board, I came out of the Academy. As for becoming a pilot in the AF, UPT is pretty much your only option. I know guys who were airline pilots in the civillian world who still had to go through UPT, and I know one guy who was an Army Helo pilot who still had to go through it.

I had heard of a guy about 8 years ago who was a pilot in a different military service (I think he was another Helo Army guy) and he said he went through some kind of a fixed-wing qual program that wasn't the full UPT. But he was going into the Guard as a Major and had previously flown fixed wing in the Army as well and had some other weird stuff going on. So I would just count that as rumour, and not put too much stock in it.

As the general rule, I would count on going to UPT if you are looking to become an AF pilot.

Well I can't help you with the board, I came out of the Academy. As for becoming a pilot in the AF, UPT is pretty much your only option. I know guys who were airline pilots in the civillian world who still had to go through UPT, and I know one guy who was an Army Helo pilot who still had to go through it.

I had heard of a guy about 8 years ago who was a pilot in a different military service (I think he was another Helo Army guy) and he said he went through some kind of a fixed-wing qual program that wasn't the full UPT. But he was going into the Guard as a Major and had previously flown fixed wing in the Army as well and had some other weird stuff going on. So I would just count that as rumour, and not put too much stock in it.

As the general rule, I would count on going to UPT if you are looking to become an AF pilot.

The only ones I know that didn't have to do UPT were Army helo guys who joined the AF to go to Helos. Once they got their commissions from OTS (if they were Warrants), then IIRC they went right to Kirtland to their particular helo FTU.

You have to earn your military wings through UPT. It DOES NOT MATTER what your civilian flying background is, whether you have 0 time or an ATP. Your PCSM score, while competitive, doesn't allow you to "test out" of the program, if that's what you're asking. Even the ex-Army helo guys have to go through most of UPT.

You have to earn your military wings through UPT. It DOES NOT MATTER what your civilian flying background is, whether you have 0 time or an ATP. Your PCSM score, while competitive, doesn't allow you to "test out" of the program, if that's what you're asking. Even the ex-Army helo guys have to go through most of UPT.

no, wasn't trying to opt out by any means......just trying to understand the process a little more is all. so my high AFOQT and PCSM scores should help out in the process correct??? I am basically trying to figure out how much weight those scores are going to pull........

no, wasn't trying to opt out by any means......just trying to understand the process a little more is all. so my high AFOQT and PCSM scores should help out in the process correct??? I am basically trying to figure out how much weight those scores are going to pull........

It's the "whole person concept". So, they're going to look at everything in your background, but based on your scores, you have what you need. Good luck; your scores were better than mine were!

I am applying for rated pilot boards this fall. If I earn a commission after OTS is UPT the only direction to go?? What other ways is there to become a pilot in the AF??

So I within the last week received my scores from AFOQT and TBAS

97 Pilot
73 Quantitative

98 PCSM

I feel that with those scores, my odds are much better. Anyone have any input on how those scores will put me in the overall picture?? Obviously the interview and the board will be a big factor but am I ahead of the game???

That is probably the weirdest question I've seen on this board. "To be a pilot in the Air Force, do I have to go through pilot training?" Really?

Alright I'll turn my dick switch off and direct you toward the usual sources: wantscheck, baseops, and the archives here. You've got a lot of research to do, but you'll find most of your answers pretty quickly. PM me if you have any trouble finding what you need.

That is probably the weirdest question I've seen on this board. "To be a pilot in the Air Force, do I have to go through pilot training?" Really?

Alright I'll turn my dick switch off and direct you toward the usual sources: wantscheck, baseops, and the archives here. You've got a lot of research to do, but you'll find most of your answers pretty quickly. PM me if you have any trouble finding what you need.

I don't know the exact question being asked......

I read it as, is OTS the only way to go to be an AF pilot. I could be wrong though.

Hmmm.

The only reason I stated it like that was because I read in a forum someone state " a lot of people going the UPT route, good luck".......I was more looking for clarification to the entire process. Ill assume the other route is working your way through as an enlistee. And I know pilot training is involved, just didnt know if there were different levels of it, or if everyone went to the same place.

Thanks for all the informations gang.........

The only reason I stated it like that was because I read in a forum someone state " a lot of people going the UPT route, good luck".......I was more looking for clarification to the entire process. Ill assume the other route is working your way through as an enlistee. And I know pilot training is involved, just didnt know if there were different levels of it, or if everyone went to the same place.

Thanks for all the informations gang.........

Sounds like in your case, if you want to be a pilot in the Air Force, you will have to go to OTS or AMS. You can apply for an active duty position of pilot OR apply directly to units in the Guard or Reserves. Your PCSM will play a big part if you get selected or not but you will always be judged on the overall person concept. If you are selected you will have to start at ground zero just like everyone else and go through OTS or AMS, IFS, and UPT.

I think I answered all your questions, let me know if I can help more.

Yea, having a civilian pilot certificate used to get you out of IFT/IFS, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Double edge sword, I guess. Sucks for the applicant, but then again, they can get a better idea of whether not you'll be able to 'hack the program' before they have to spend one dime of jet fuel on you.

Yea, having a civilian pilot certificate used to get you out of IFT/IFS, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Double edge sword, I guess. Sucks for the applicant, but then again, they can get a better idea of whether not you'll be able to 'hack the program' before they have to spend one dime of jet fuel on you.

Everyone comes to IFS now. Guard/Reserve guys can get waivers if the unit doesn't want to pay for it. You might get a waiver if you're age critical also. I'm at IFS now. Most people with PPL and up have done fine here. The 0 time dudes have had some long nights trying to catch up in the books...to any lurkers, I'd recommend it least sitting in on a PPL ground school before showing up here.

Yes this is true. Some people like this, especially guard bums like Frog Flyer because it is a few more weeks of a guarenteed pay check.

I am not going to mind it. Exposes one to a military flight training enviornment and will help me practice my study skills before I start the oh-so-important UPT.

Some people like this, especially guard bums like Frog Flyer because it is a few more weeks of a guarenteed pay check.

Possibly, but not necessarily. His UPT dates are probably already firmed up by now, and he'll stay on orders until one year after his UPT graduation date. Therefore, IFS will be coming out of the time he would have otherwise been sitting casual awaiting class. So, less beer drinking time, so to each his own. Oh wait, we are talking about Frog Flyer here :beer:

Back