UPS/FEDEX Internal Recommendations

Beechlover

Well it looks like the furlough is coming, just waiting on the the certified letter to get here in a couple of weeks. I've heard some of the CA's I've flown with mention working as a "box handler" for UPS and/or FEDEX with the hopes of getting a foot in the door and a possible internal recommendations later on down the road when they apply. My question is when we say "internal recommendation" does it have to be a pilot in the company, or would a supervisor at the loading dock suffice? I've heard starting in the company this way (throwing boxes) makes a pretty good positive impression. I'm gonna have alot of time on my hands so I REALLY want to use it wisely. Will probably CFI on the side as well. Thanks

When I worked in Air Sort I gave the CP a call. His words to me were (not a direct quote) it really won't help much. The exception being if they had two equally qualified pilots to choose from, the one with 'UPS box handling time' would get the job. So he said, thanks for the help as a box monkey....but, not doing a whole lot towards my flying future at UPS.

I don't know about UPS, but Fedex has a huge pool and with age 65, their pilots aren't going anywhere for a while. When they do start hiring again, there will be a mob of super qualified pilots knocking the doors down. My sim instructor was a captain, corporate experience, and his dad is a chief Fedex pilot in MEM, and even he said he'll be waiting forever for an INTERVIEW! I wouldn't get your hopes up too high - Take whatever job you can find that you can build a decent trade/skill/earning potential.

There is an online pilot recommendation form which is used for line pilots to recommend someone. I don't think a UPS non-pilot even has access to the process. That said, there could be a possibility for behind the scenes networking in the right situation but I think, for the most part, throwing boxes to get a shot at UPS is a waste of time.

There is an online pilot recommendation form which is used for line pilots to recommend someone. I don't think a UPS non-pilot even has access to the process. That said, there could be a possibility for behind the scenes networking in the right situation but I think, for the most part, throwing boxes to get a shot at UPS is a waste of time.

Ah hell! There goes the 120 hours I spent last Christmas, package running for UPS!!:(

I think FedEx has a policy to interview internally for any position, if you have been a full-time employee in good standing for certain amount of time and that you meet the qualifications.... This includes pilot position, not saying you will get the job without 3-5 recommendations, shuttle landings, etc.

Back