Update on Trans States

He's extremely cool. He gets along with everyone, and will make great CP for TSA. Hopefully with a new CP and new Dir. of Trng TSA will turn things around somewhat...
Do they have a bad training department?
My buddy went there a few months ago, said that he was very impressed, they were tough and expected you to know your stuff, but overall really good.
He said that if you study what they give your and know your stuff at an ATP level then training is not bad, he also said that they are really good at weeding the bad apples out before they even hit the line. That is a plus in my book!

Im pretty sure the 1 for 1 deal helped for TSA's own upgrade requirements because they are pretty high. You can't do the 1 for 1 for the new FAA required 1000 SIC.

Im pretty sure the 1 for 1 deal helped for TSA's own upgrade requirements because they are pretty high. You can't do the 1 for 1 for the new FAA required 1000 SIC.

Is the 1000 SIC just in a 121 environment or is it time at the specific airline/type?

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.

Not sure but regardless I don't think an airline can give one a credit towards it like some do towards their upgrade requirements.

§ 121.436 Pilot Qualification: Certificates and experience requirements.
(a) No certificate holder may use nor may any pilot act as pilot in command of an aircraft (or as second in command of an aircraft in a flag or supplemental operation that requires three or more pilots) unless the pilot:

(1) Holds an airline transport pilot certificate not subject to the limitations in § 61.167 of this chapter;

(2) Holds an appropriate aircraft type rating for the aircraft being flown; and

(3) If serving as pilot in command, has 1,000 hours as second in command in operations under this part, pilot in command in operations under § 91.1053(a)(2)(i) of this chapter, pilot in command in operations under § 135.243(a)(1) of this chapter, or any combination thereof. For those pilots who are employed as pilot in command in part 121 operations on July 31, 2013, compliance with the requirements of this paragraph (a)(3) is not required.

(b) No certificate holder may use nor may any pilot act as second in command unless the pilot holds an airline transport pilot certificate and an appropriate aircraft type rating for the aircraft being flown. A second-in-command type rating obtained under § 61.55 does not satisfy the requirements of this section.

(c) For the purpose of satisfying the flight hour requirement in paragraph (a)(3) of this section, a pilot may credit 500 hours of military flight time obtained as pilot in command of a multiengine turbine-powered, fixed-wing airplane in an operation requiring more than one pilot.

(d) Compliance with the requirements of this section is required by August 1, 2013. However, for those pilots who are employed as second in command in part 121 operations on July 31, 2013, compliance with the type rating requirement in paragraph (b) of this section is not required until January 1, 2016.

§ 135.243 Pilot in command qualifications.
(a) No certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command in passenger-carrying operations—

(1) Of a turbojet airplane, of an airplane having a passenger-seat configuration, excluding each crewmember seat, of 10 seats or more, or of a multiengine airplane in a commuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter, unless that person holds an airline transport pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that airplane.

§ 91.1053 Crewmember experience.
(a) No program manager or owner may use any person, nor may any person serve, as a pilot in command or second in command of a program aircraft, or as a flight attendant on a program aircraft, in program operations under this subpart unless that person has met the applicable requirements of part 61 of this chapter and has the following experience and ratings:

(1) Total flight time for all pilots:

(i) Pilot in command—A minimum of 1,500 hours.

(ii) Second in command—A minimum of 500 hours.

(2) For multi-engine turbine-powered fixed-wing and powered-lift aircraft, the following FAA certification and ratings requirements:

(i) Pilot in command—Airline transport pilot and applicable type ratings.

(ii) Second in command—Commercial pilot and instrument ratings.

(iii) Flight attendant (if required or used)—Appropriately trained personnel.

(3) For all other aircraft, the following FAA certification and rating requirements:

(i) Pilot in command—Commercial pilot and instrument ratings.

(ii) Second in command—Commercial pilot and instrument ratings.

(iii) Flight attendant (if required or used)—Appropriately trained personnel.

I'm not sure about that. Our ops spec said 1000 hours but we get credited one for one hours so it bumps it down to 500 hrs.
With the new regs an exemption would need to be created. If you don't have the exemption the regs prevail.

I am starting with TSA with an Oct class date. I would appreciate any useful advice on what to expect and how to prepare for the training class. It’s my first 121 gig. PMs with details would be great. Thanks!

I am starting with TSA with an Oct class date. I would appreciate any useful advice on what to expect and how to prepare for the training class. It’s my first 121 gig. PMs with details would be great. Thanks!
Memory items and limitations.

Back