Upcoming Multi add on

CloudNine

im doing my commercial multi add on in two weeks in CT in an accellerated course 3 days long. My apprehension is over the OEI instrument approach as I havent flown instruments in 8 weeks , they were glass, and never flew an approach at 110kts in a complex airplane. I did fly one ILS at 120kts (IIRC) in a caravan to mins, but the rest in 172s. I have 60 hours high perf single. zero multi.
I don't find the other items of the PTS particularly daunting and I'm glad it's an add on ride rather than initial.
Any tips? It's in a seneca and I'm studying obsessively as I'd like to maintain my clean record. Is 7 hours of flying usually enough if done intentionally?

Last edited:
im doing my commercial multi add on in two weeks in CT in an accellerated course 3 days long. My apprehension is over the OEI instrument approach as I havent flown instruments in 8 weeks , they were glass, and never flew an approach at 110kts in a complex airplane. I did fly one ILS at 120kts (IIRC) in a caravan to mins, but the rest in 172s. I have 60 hours high perf single. zero multi.
I don't find the other items of the PTS particularly daunting and I'm glad it's an add on ride rather than initial.
Any tips? It's in a seneca and I'm studying obsessively as I'd like to maintain my clean record. Is 7 hours of flying usually enough if done intentionally?
7 hours might be enough if you put in a bunch of hours on a sim/FTD practicing and practicing and practicing the procedures to fluid proficiency.

Do you have a chance to practice instruments ahead of time? When I taught multi, the students who struggled with the single engine approach were having trouble with the instrument part, not the single engine part. Once you get the airplane under control and run the procedure, flying the approach is not that bad. Just have to remember to keep everything coordinated and the changes in your performance.

If you can't get any practice in ahead of time, you might ask your instructor if you can fly a couple approaches with the hood off, or with both engines going. Try and make sure you feel comfortable with that before going single engine and under the hood.

Good luck!

Well i feel pretty sharp flying instruments, It may just take me the first couple shots to get it back. Having never flown multi I anticipated the OEI would cause significant handling issues and make it much more difficult to fly the approach, but from what I hear, the approaches are flown normally and OEI handling is not all that different once you put in the bank and zero slip.

ILS 5 into kgon . The ride was satisfactory, but definitely not my best . Did it after 3 flights and 4.5 hrs multi.

ILS 5 into kgon . The ride was satisfactory, but definitely not my best . Did it after 3 flights and 4.5 hrs multi.
So you only got 4.5hrs of training before the checkride? Did they still make you pay for 7? Or did I read this wrong..?

I am looking at getting my multi rating, and Traverse Air is booked solid until late summer, so I'm looking at options.

Back