Up/down facility which class first?

kaudbron

CTI guy here, it sounds like I could pick either TRACON, or Tower class. Question is which one should I pick to go to first?

IF you get a choice... which I doubt... pick tower first. It's much better to go and get checked out in the tower, get your confidence level up... and THEN try to tackle radar. Doing it the other way around is foolish if given another opportunity.

They let you pick now?

That doesn't sound right. I've only heard of people going Tower, then TRACON for up/downs.

Anybody familiar with a specific facility where you train in the TRACON first?

They were trying to fill a Radar class I opted for a significantly later tower class after talking to my facilities Sup.

I've only known people to go through Tower crap first before the almighty Radar. But I don't doubt the FAA reversing their normalities.
Radar rocks. After you complete all (radar) sectors(probably 2), you should ask to be transfered to D10 or SCT or N90 because you'll love it so much!
Let me know what you think...

I've only known people to go through Tower crap first before the almighty Radar. But I don't doubt the FAA reversing their normalities.
Radar rocks. After you complete all (radar) sectors(probably 2), you should ask to be transfered to D10 or SCT or N90 because you'll love it so much!
Let me know what you think...
Ha what???? sorry I know we have a lot of acronyms in our industry but I have no idea what you are talking about??? My HR POC said I could take either class but they were trying to fill the radar class, it was a tough choice because I will be loosing 2 months of seniority waiting around for tower class...

Take the Radar class first.
You will discover a respect for radar from a tower prespective.
And if you are good enough, you might find yourself a high paying job in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, etc...

I met my facility Sup back in April and he was going to work it so I only go to OKC once. Not sure if that will work out, getting trained on tower and radar without getting certified until I get back but I would rather be down there for one long stretch. Has anybody heard of this happening before?

I met my facility Sup back in April and he was going to work it so I only go to OKC once. Not sure if that will work out, getting trained on tower and radar without getting certified until I get back but I would rather be down there for one long stretch. Has anybody heard of this happening before?

I'd rather do that as well if I could get that worked out!

Back