Unruly Delta passenger to pay airline the cost of emergency landing after pleading guilty.

Oxman

Ha! Good. Outside of a medical emergency, if an airline has to divert because of someone's behavior they get the bill.

Unruly Delta passenger to pay airline the cost of emergency landing after pleading guilty - NY Daily News

ny-1531407554-a3l82a21jd-snap-image

An unruly passenger on a Delta flight will pay the airline $9,118 for the cost of diverting the aircraft after pleading guilty to a federal assault charge.
Prosecutors say Washington State resident Bolutife Olorunda verbally assaulted and interfered with a flight attendant on a May 30 flight from Oregon to Atlanta, prompting the pilot to declare an emergency and land in Tulsa. The flight eventually went to Atlanta.
Authorities say Olorunda told the flight attendant, “don’t touch me and if you touch me again you will regret it,” according to an affidavit obtained by News 4 in Oklahoma.
He was singing and screaming, according to News on 6.

After he ignored a flight attendant and an air marshal, the plane was diverted to Tulsa International Airport. He was arrested and charged with interference of flight crew members and attendants after the plane landed.
“Airline passengers must follow the instructions of flight staff. If they do not, there are consequences,” U.S. Attorney R. Trent Shores said in a statement on Wednesday. “Mr. Olorunda learned that those consequences can include diversion of a commercial flight and federal prosecution. The defendant will be reimbursing the airline for the cost of diverting that flight.”
Shores also praised the “quick thinking and decision making” by the flight crew and air marshals.
“Their actions should inspire confidence in the safety and security of commercial air travel in America,” he said.
There were 178 passengers on the flight, including two air marshals, according to ABC News.
Olorunda additionally faces up to six months in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Oh yes, the company is very open and cheerful about sending an errant passenger the bill and expecting payment when there’s a diversion before you “ackin’ a foo’”

Ain’t nothing free, especially abhorrent behavior.

Delta has also said they won't let him book travel in the future. I'd like to think that there's a shared industry Troublesome Passenger List somewhere, but that's just me being optimistic.

It shouldn't even come to that. He should be barred at the TSA level.

Delta has also said they won't let him book travel in the future. I'd like to think that there's a shared industry Troublesome Passenger List somewhere, but that's just me being optimistic.

Unfortunately no, airlines don't share their lists with each other.

Like tryin to draw blood from a stone, I doubt he has that kind of money. This behavior seems to have gotten worse since the David Dao incident, people thinking they can behave however they want and get a pay day for it. Either that or I've just noticed it more.

It's the land of instant messaging, Instagram, Dumb**** live,Twitter, etc, etc.

Baraged 24/7 to the second, of mindless "Breaking news".

Yeah, that’ll get paid. I see a bankruptcy comin’

Welcome to my world of trying to collect money from deadbeat tenants. I get served with former tenant bankruptcy filings on a weekly basis. But I take solace in the knowledge that they’ve only filed that bankruptcy because I went after them, so I’ve destroyed their credit for years even if we didn’t collect the money. :)

Back