Unproffesional co-worker (pilot)... WWYD?

How old is this person?
He's 22.

Well... we had a talk, one professional to another. He was very welcoming to some criticism and was open to changing some of his habits. I told him about the things that were brought up from the other pilots in the company and how he needed to treat the SICs with respect since they may be the one holding the check airman clipboard later on down. So overall it went well, I just hope this change is permanent.

sorry to chime in late, but honestly, I wouldn't have done a thing.

Unless you're the CP, it's not your job to change personnel behaviors. If it bothered you that much, you talk to the CP and let him or her deal with it.

Because in this case, you could be perceived as:

-undermining the chain of command
-coming off as holier than thou
-a gossip

or other negative stigmas.

Unless you're the CP, it's not your job to change personnel behaviors. If it bothered you that much, you talk to the CP and let him or her deal with it.

-a gossip

I disagree. This isn't an issue of the pilot not following SOPs (necessarily), this is an issue of personality and just all around "dewshbaggery". You don't need to involve the CP for that.

If they're doing something dangerous, outside of SOPs or the regs then sure...a call to the CP is in order. If they're just being an ass, then you can handle that man to man. Er....you know.

-mini

-a gossip

You can always write an anonymous letter/e-mail to the CP...

I disagree. This isn't an issue of the pilot not following SOPs (necessarily), this is an issue of personality and just all around "dewshbaggery". You don't need to involve the CP for that.

If they're doing something dangerous, outside of SOPs or the regs then sure...a call to the CP is in order. If they're just being an ass, then you can handle that man to man. Er....you know.

-mini

So I have a coworker *snip* He likes *snip* making them do stuff like holding his coffee (he was mad at an SIC for touching the wheel, so he turned off the heater, un-synced the props and opened the window to prove a point who's boss,)

Man to Dbag then? :D

All I was saying is that some of the described behaviors can be seen as outside of SOP, and personally I don't have enough time to change all of the Dbags in the world, including the ones I work with. I generally ignore them and if they befriend me, then I tell them I'm busy and walk away.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement. I think we just perceive the situation differently

I really don't have a problem with, and have spoken to other pilots when they've gotten out of line and I expect the same from them if I stray as well.

If the unprofessionalism manifests itself into a violation, you're sitting right there at the big brown desk with the other guy, even though it might not be your fault.

Don't let someone get you violated or invited to the chief pilot "carpet dance".

I really don't have a problem with, and have spoken to other pilots when they've gotten out of line and I expect the same from them if I stray as well.

If the unprofessionalism manifests itself into a violation, you're sitting right there at the big brown desk with the other guy, even though it might not be your fault.

Don't let someone get you violated or invited to the chief pilot "carpet dance".

:yeahthat:
I've told numerous Captains "this crap needs to change or else...."

I feel for ya. That's a tough spot to be in. After making the mistake a few times myself though, I'd let the complainers handle it. When he's butthurt at them, he may come to you to vent. That would be the perfect time to gently "re-center" him. At least that's the way I'd handle it.

Excellent advise.:yeahthat:

So I have a coworker, which luckily is not on this board, who is very unprofessional when it come down to it. He like to tell people how to do their job (highlighting parts in the ops manual and giving it to a fellow co-worker,) yelling at co-pilots or making them do stuff like holding his coffee (he was mad at an SIC for touching the wheel, so he turned off the heater, un-synced the props and opened the window to prove a point who's boss,) flipping off the competition (well, this is sorta okay, but not really,) he was asked to fill in for a sick pilot and when the DO tried to ask, he locked the snooze room, turned off his cell phone and ignored him, and he believes that he is pretty much better than everyone else.

He has recently moved up to our home base, but is living in the hanger and is taking his time getting a place since he's not paying rent. Now, he has sorta befriended me, but everyone else thinks he's a total ass and SICs totally refuse to fly with him, and for some reason they give him the longest route.

So, WWYD? He's getting on everyones nerves and I'm not sure people can take much more of his bs. BTW, what I metioned above just barely scratches the surface on the dumb/unprofessional stuff he does.

I had a Capt similar to that and I basically told him on one flight to shut up and that he's the only Capt that I can't stand flying with, afterwards it was a very pleasant quiet flight, he stopped his stupid talk and we just did the job.

Basically someone just needs to call him out, you'll be surprise what that does to people.

I guess the situation has played out already and ended well which is good but if it had been me I would not have talked to him. The way i see it there was the potential for it to blow up in my face and it's not my job to fix this guy. It is the CP's job though.

Back