University of Oklahoma Flight Training

menarda

Im currently in the USAF, and when i get out im looking at college flight programs, and was wondering if anyone had some insight on OU flight program? Thanks

I've been here for about a year and a half now. I've been pretty pleased with it so far. I feel that some of the ratings are drug out for a while. If you do it, i would recommend doing the aviation management program with flying. This will give you more flexibility in what flight courses you want to take. (aka you wont be REQUIRED to take turbine transition and stuff like that) Sometimes scheduling can be a problem. Seems like were getting more students every semester and a lot of people are pushing for more airplanes but i doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Hey i appreciate it, seems more and more schools are offerng flying programs, and i would do the management program. How many flight hours do you get?

i took lessons there for a semester just to get my private. one thing i didnt like was that it was like pulling teeth to change instructors, my guy made it seem like it was a hassle (and even showed at times) to fly anytime outside of when i was scheduled. i constantly had to fly with other instructors so i could get done in a timely manner. i know it wasnt just me too, i know several other people who complained about this individual. somehow he still has a job. if im paying 4k+ for to learn to fly, i should be able to have a say in who i dont want training me.
other than that,the program is pretty good, and i should say that not all the instructors are bad, there are a lot who are good, i just got the bad apple. most instructors are very knowledgeable, the cost of the program is very inexpensive compared to other FBO's in the area. especially when you consider the planes they fly are fairly new (less than 4 years) and in good condition (with the exception of the arrow) they are also gps equiped, which helps a lot

flight hours just depend on which rating your doing. On average most of the courses are around 30-40 hours. As for finishing in timely manner, that must have just been a bad apple because all the instructors i have had got me finished as fast as they possibly could.

flight hours just depend on which rating your doing. On average most of the courses are around 30-40 hours. As for finishing in timely manner, that must have just been a bad apple because all the instructors i have had got me finished as fast as they possibly could.
yeah, like i said....not all the instructors were bad....i flew with about half a dozen and i just didnt care for the one i had.

Don't forget about the better school.... Oklahoma State!! :nana2:

OU definently has better planes, a more structured flight program, and is doing good with the flying program. I'm just biased towards OSU!

Can't wait to get finished at Sheppard AFB and start attending OSU in the fall of '09!

Don't forget about the better school.... Oklahoma State!!

OU definently has better planes, a more structured flight program, and is doing good with the flying program. I'm just biased towards OSU!
not to mention westheimer is a better airport. none of that half asphalt, half concrete crap. plus its not that far from will rogers so you can go do approaches there, and there are a few very close uncontrolled airports that are great for practicing STOL operations.

Back