University of Jacksonville or MTSU

Thut2018

I am planning to get an aeronautics degree from either JU or MTSU. The problem is I can't decide which one to attend. JU is partnered with Delta Connection Academy, which supposedly can get me a job, but it is far more expensive. MTSU is cheaper, but I know virtually nothing about the school. Any advice is appreciated. Also, can DCA really help get their graduates get a job with a regional airline, or is that just all smoke and mirrors?

Where do you live?

I went to MTSU. They have a nice fleet, good maintenance, and nice facilities, though the airport campus is pretty crowded. I recommend it. I can't comment on the airline partnership, but it seems to me that hiring is fairly steady right now anyway so that might not be a huge advantage for Jacksonville.

I live in north Georgia, so its about the same distance to JU and MTSU, and those two are the only colleges in the area that I am aware of that offer this degree. You said the airport is crowded, about how many students are in the professional pilot program?

There is a bridge program with American Eagle at MTSU, I'm not sure how many people take it. The program at MTSU is very structured to where now you can get your private and instrument all together throught the FITS program. Just like any airport with a lot of people, there will be a lot of traffic flying around, but it is manageable. As far as students in the program, the last I checked I think that there are about 89 students, don't quote me on that, but there are a lot. I use to be an instructor there and the chief pilot is a good guy, who wants to get the job done. So if you are serious in getting your license then there shouldn't be a problem in getting it.

Yes they do. I was once a student also.

Not neccessarily... I butted heads a few times with the chair of the department over the now ex-Chief Flight Instructor out there during my tenure at MTSU. The Chair told me in no uncertain terms that I would not get a job at MTSU because of my lack of loyalty to the program and the school. I informed him I worked for the MTSU Admissions Office for three years as mainly a representative to prospective students regarding the Aerospace Department without so much as a thank you from the department. I think calling my loyalty into question because I questioned the Chief Flight Instructor's somewhat dangerous procedures was ludicrous and a gross misjudgement of his responsibilities as department chair.

The Chair is still at MTSU but the Chief Flight Instructor is now gone. I work about twenty minutes up the road from MTSU at the Smyrna Airport and I talk to a few people who do recommend flying at MTSU. They say the program has improved greatly since the Chief Flight Instructor was let go.

I actually just flew with a guy this morning for a DA-40 checkout and it was probably one of the best checkout flights I've ever done. This kid was a top notch pilot. I give MTSU all the credit for turning someone out like that.

Always be weary of a school that promises you a job with an airline after graduation. Most Part 141 flight schools have pilots graduating with Commercial Multi-Engine with around 200 hours. That's pretty low as far as possible jobs go... especially in the airlines.

Does JU have opportunities for more multi time? You get next to none at MTSU and even if you do become an instructor out there its a long road up the seniority ladder to the coveted multi time.

I'm still at MTSU working on a Master's degree--PM me if you need more details.

For what it's worth, I checked out MTSU last spring and loved it. I just happened to find myself in Murfreesboro by a freak accident. I would've loved to transfer there but it just didn't happen. Haven't seen JU but I wouldn't choose them for the Delta Connection "connection." Choose JU because you feel it's best for you. "Being owned by an airline" honestly doesn't mean much.

I'm not sure about Jacksonville, but Murfreesboro is a great city. Small town with southern charm yet it has grown enough to have pretty much everything you'll ever need. People bitch about the traffic but I grew up in Memphis and THAT is traffic. You can get from one side of town to the other in fifteen minutes--Memphis is a thirty minute drive minimum.

being alum from MTSU and currently working at a 121 I will say that MTSU has some good name recognition, and with the ex-chief given the boot its a great place. The "Selection process" is nothing difficult- its basicly can you get along with people during your time there as a student and do you get your ratings done without significant delays or cancellations. If you fly often and are a nice guy you will be given a job once you get your CFI ticket. Keep in mind that right now airlines are hiring really low time people as long as they have a pulse! Good luck and I would highly recommend MTSU. PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm not to worried about traffic, I live just north of Atlanta. I don't think it gets much worse. Based on the positive feedback I had gotten about MTSU, I had pretty much decided on going there, but then I learned about a new program that is starting up here in GA at Middle Georgia College. Its a small school, but with the HOPE scholarship it would be free. Now I have to decide wether an established school like MTSU that guarantees an interview with American Eagle is worth the cost, or wether to attend the new program for free. Thanks again for all your imput. It has been very helpful.

I wouldn't put the "guaranteed interview" in the criteria for your decision. Look at other factors such as cost, quality of training, reputation, location, etc. and make your choice based on that.
PM

I'm not sure about Jacksonville, but Murfreesboro is a great city. Small town with southern charm yet it has grown enough to have pretty much everything you'll ever need. People bitch about the traffic but I grew up in Memphis and THAT is traffic. You can get from one side of town to the other in fifteen minutes--Memphis is a thirty minute drive minimum.

HAHA I think it is actually easier to drive in MEM then it is in Murfreesboro. The traffic in Murfreesboro completely sucks but then again I do live on the complete opposite side of town from classes. I can actually get to work at Wings in about the same time it takes me to get to class in the morning. On the other hand I do like the town alot better than Memphis.

There is also a bridge program with Pinnacle now... so that gives you 2 airlines, plus the connections you will make with instructors at MTSU..

Back